Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SansAmp Para Driver Review

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Nyarlathotep, Feb 14, 2006.

1. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Let me start out by saying that this pedal is f***ing SWEEET!!!!!!!!:D :D :D :D :D :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist:

As of now I've only actually spent about 1/2 to a full hour with the pedal. I'm running it: Bass -> SAPDDI -> Stereo (used as power amp)

The Review:
    To start, I ran the bass full volume and tone. This thing does seem to cut off everything above a certain freq (as I read in another thread: 6KHz?), but thats fine as it seems to clear up the high end of things. I started out with everything "flat", except for blend, which I left "off". Then I increased the blend until it was on "full sansamp" blend. I did notice that there was a slight loss of mids but with it being a ParaDriver I was able to put them back, but had to back off of the drive as the mid adds saturation as well. The great part is I was able to shift the added mids from lo (170Hz) to presencse/treble freqs (3+KHz). I decided that I liked the mids at 170 best and left the mid control at 3 o'clock. This gives a nice tuby growl. I then decided that my tone needs more bass, and as per the manuals recomendations I lowered the treble control (instead of raising the bass). Man, the tone is crazy thick. With the treble non-existant, and the mids shifted down, the tone control on my bass does nothing but create a high pitched squeel when I take my hands off the bridge/strings. So, I turned off the tone.

At this point, I was completly amazed at how quiet this thing is. Anyway, I decided that I might as well explore the od/dist abilities of the SAPDDI. So I did the logical thing, and CRANKED the drive to max :eek: :smug: :bassist: The crunchy tone I got (cus of the mid-shift being so low) is amazing. For lack of better words, it's the best distortion I've ever played with. And thats playing "direct" as well. I alway found my fuzz to be too high in the spectrum to be used on it's own (but, that's why it's so great with my wah). Anyway I did notice that the tone was compressed, albeit pleasently, so I figured that maybe I could just lower the volume on my bass and clean up the sound. It works perfectly! One effect, two tones. As of now this is my official "mini" rig.

I will post samples later, including demos of the manual's "presets", so there's no need to fret :rolleyes: lol

Here are my settings in full:
    Code:
        Level = 12 o'clock
       Treble = 7 o'clock
          Mid = 3 o'clock
    Mid Shift = 7 o'clock
         Bass = 12 o'clock
        Drive = 5 o'clock
        Blend = 5 o'clock
    This gives that great growling overdrive :D and if I roll the volume back a little (that's right, a little: about a 1/4 turn) I get that nice deep growling clean tone. It's great, I actually almost blew the sub on my stereo!

2. Nice review :D I just gor a SABDDI so am now gassing for the paradriver :crying:

Shouldnt you try it with a proper bass rig rather than your hifi? :confused:

3. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    I've got the stereo set up with no eq changes, so theoretically it's just a power amp and really good speaker setup. It's pretty much the best way to hear the direct sound of a setup. As an example my English Muff'n sounded better IMO throuh my 15W practice amp (with 8"speaker) than trough my stereo. Some of the "cruchyness" dissapeared :( . That's why I'm so amazed by the SAPDDI, it sounds really good through the stereo :D

Oh, and my stereo has 4 woofers, 2 tweeters, and a powered sub in a pear tree.... Seriously, when I play a note, you feel it :bassist: :eek:

Oh, and just to make you more jelous, if you stick the mid-shift at 2 o'clock the mid becomes the presence knob of the BDDI.

4. uly_

uly_

Jul 4, 2005
    Denmark
    Now givf soundsamples imo tbh ^_^;; wanna hear that OD !!

5. Good review. Note that the ParaDriver could sound completely different though other speakers.

Sounclips dammit!!!!!! :)

6. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    I'm uploading the 16 samples I've done right now. should be up shortly...

Oh ya, and It sounds the same through my computer speakers :D

7. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
  8. Sounds good, except for the noise of course. What output did you use. XLR? 1/4" jack?

9. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Unfortunatly I had to use the 1/4". All I need is an adapter and then I can record out of the XLR. I ordered the part a week before the SA (was gonna use it on my Punch Factory) but it's still not here :bawl: , sorry :oops:

10. Tell me, how long do you play bass, DarkHarted?

11. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    If you mean how much I play a day: I try to get in 1-1.5 Hours a day...

If you mean how long I've been playing: Coming up on 8 months. I played guitar for about a year/year and a half before though.

It's funny, cus I'm only now getting serious about it :bag:

Why do you ask :confused:

12. Just because. :)

No. By listening to your playing on the clips I could tell you're only playing for a couple of months! :)
    Keep it goin! It's a good thing you switched from guitar to bass! Hahaha! :)

13. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Hell, ya! Love the low end :bassist:

And now I have a tone I love as well!

14. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    That's a very useful review for me, many thanks.
    I'm currently in search of a magix box that will fit electric bass as well as electric-acoustic bass as well as acoustic-electric guitar as well as electric guitar...
    Guess that's the box I need.

Cheers
    Jay

15. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
  16. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    Right you are, Jay!

Good work on your excellent review, DarkHearted.

I don't know what all the hoplah over the SansAMp BDI is. The PDI is, IMHO, a much better box for bass.

I bought mine by...er dumb luck. I was actually wnated the SansAmp accouctic DI box for my Chapman stick and bought the Para becuase the Accoustic was discontinued.

Running it from my Stick to a power amp, I was able to get a good tube emulation sound and EQ it to get that Fender Twin sound.

For some fun I ran my bass through it. While I am somewhat spoiled my my Ampeg SVT. I was content with the SVT tone when I ran a Fender Jazz Bass through the PDI and then DI'd it to a mixing board.

By content, I mean it does lack all the tube qualities but is much superior to an amp modeller and much easier to use than an amp modeller!

17. I agree, great review! I've referred to it many times, and am now totalllly GASing for one. Just sold my BDDI! :hyper: :)

18. Haha, this place is too much!:p:D :eyebrow: :eek:

No harm meant, BTW.

19. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    I've had one of these for a while now,and love it! Now,if they would just make a programable version like the bass DI.

20. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    All this great feedback recently :D
    Right after I decided to go with:
    [​IMG]
    as my final board! One reason the PDDI isn't the DI is that it changed my tone too much (same with the BDDI, from what I've read) to use other effects, even the chorus, IMO of course. Funny thing is though, my review was done on just the PDDI itself! I might try that out that way again :meh:
    If it works out I think that I can fit it below the Punch Factory, though it won't be in the signal chain! (yay, mini rig!)