Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

sansamp para or bass driver

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jnightmare, Apr 20, 2005.

1. jnightmare

jnightmare

May 12, 2004
    Carson, CA
    well im looking to get one of these pedals but im conflicted. has anyone A/Bed these 2 pedals. im leaning toward the para mainly because of the mid control. can anyone give me there thoughts on these 2 pedals. i couldn't find much discussion on the boards on the para when i did a search.

2. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    I think the para is more intended for piezo pickups. You should try the RBI if you want mid control. Anyway the mid control is not that important a feature as you might think.

ANDRUCA

3. +1.

I think we've both covered that aspect ad infinitum. :D :D

4. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Again with the mid control. It's really not that important. You do have mid control by use of the bass and treble.

Get a BD. Better yet, get a new programmable BD.

5. jnightmare

jnightmare

May 12, 2004
    Carson, CA
    well i was 90% sure i wanted the BD but all the talk about mid controls was just keeping me back from going all the way with the BD.

6. louelou

louelou

Apr 20, 2005
    I love the driver, with just a lil dirt.

7. jnightmare

jnightmare

May 12, 2004
    Carson, CA
    well i went ahead and ordered my porgammable bass driver. should arrive next week on the 26th according to the tracking info.

8. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Does anybody have any comments on the Para Driver? This pedal's been out for a bit now. I would think that either people would be raving about the sweepable mid control, or trashing it.

9. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    It's actually only just getting out to retailers now, from what I can see

10. bump.

anyone with any thoughts on the basic tone of the units? Are they identical, with the Para having the sweepable mids?

or is there a tone diffrence between the two boxes?

11. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    they're tonally identical from what I can hear. The para driver doesn't have the presence control, but has sweepable mids. What's good about that is that it helps counteract the mid-sucking that goes on when you use high levels of blend.

12. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    If you are going pre/power I'd get the para. If you have a regular rig you might like the presence feature more. Presence adds a certain tightness to my tone (using Mesa Bass 400) which is way nice, with my old Ashdown it added presence that I couldnt get any other way.

13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I don't have one (yet), but I'd go with the ParaDriver. I have both the SABDDI and the Acoustic DI. The ADI is much more versatile with respect to tone, but doesn't have the drive control. The ParaDriver brings together the best of both worlds. ParaDriver, definitely.

14. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    I went for the programmable version of the bass driver, for pretty obvious reasons. With my setup I have enough control over the mids elsewhere, and anyway I usually have the blend setting fairly low. The three patch thing was more important to me than than having a mid control.

15. So...

anyone tried the Para drive in real life?

16. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    Haven't tried the Para Driver, but I just scored a mint condition Acoustic DI today (I've had a BDDI for four years.) While I never really missed having a mid control on the BDDI, the sweepable mids on the Acoustic are very handy for dialing out annoying frequencies. This isn't really necessary for my bass guitars, but it's essential for the piezo pickups on my upright bass.

I've always wanted a stompbox pre that could fully drive a power amp-- the Para Driver's line/instrument level switches for both 1/4" and XLR outs should let it do just that.

17. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

I hate to "rototill" an old thread, but I can comment on the A/B between the Para and the BD.

I find the Para to be not as "clear" sounding as the BD. The mid control is nice, and the unit has gobs of gain, but that magic "sparkle" that the BD adds does not seem to be there with the Para.

I found a use for the Para tho, in front of my YBA-200. The Para tones down the excessive (read: uncontrollable) highs that I get from the Traynor.

The BDDI remains my choice for "seasoning" my other amps.

18. So how's the overdrive sounds when you make a comparison between both the BDDI and the Para?

19. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yes, see my prior comments in this thread

20. hensonbass

hensonbass Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    I just got my Para Driver in the mail today and have been messing around with it. I'm running it straight into a Peavey DPC 1400 amp that has been laying around into a EA NL210 cab. My AI Focus head is in the shop right now-I want to use the Para with the AI for most of my gigs when I do the doubling thing.

I gotta say this box sounds bad ass! Lots of tones and it's so damn pleasing to the ear. This is a studio must have. I have an Aguilar AG 500 head on loan and I enjoy hearing the para driver much more.

Now having said that there is a difference between hearing a rig in a bedroom by yourself and cranking it out on stage with a band. So I am interested to hear how the Para cuts it live. The Aguilar has a lot of bite in the sound which by itself might not be that great but live you are hearing yourself no problem.

So I have a few gigs to do before I give my final verdict. ;)