1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SansAmp PBDDI -> SWR SM-400 Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Alex1984, Apr 22, 2010.

1. Alex1984

Alex1984

Jan 16, 2010
    Vancouver
    How many people use theirs in combination with a bass amp?

I've read posts about running them into the effects return jack. I tried this on my SM-400 and it was MUCH LOUDER than I expected. :eek: Also, there's quite a bit of hum (reasonable from past experiences with it).

However, I found out that the Master Volume dial on my SM-400 no longer does anything. Anyhow, so I figured I'd run the BDDI without the preamp boost, and use it like a stomp box through the front input.

So a few questions:
    1. Should I use the BDDI as a stomp box or a pre-amp?

2. If I were to use it as a stomp box, would it be a bad thing to run the signal through the SWR's pre-amp? Should I set my EQ to be completely flat? Would I use the passive or active input?

(To be honest, I LOVE the SWR's pre-amp section, but the convenience and versatility of the BDDI is inexpendable to me.)

3. If I were to use it as a pre-amp, is there any way I can control the volume from my SM-400? Any way I can lessen the hum?

Thanks!

2. you can use it however you want. if you want the pure sansamp tone then use it in the fx return, otherwise set the amp eq to as close as flat as possible and run it into the input as a pedal, that way you have some extra eq'ability. kinda the best of both worlds unless you find the SWR pre colors the sound too much for your liking.

neither way is better, thay are just different options, use it in which ever way sounds best to you

3. Alex1984

Alex1984

Jan 16, 2010
    Vancouver
    Thanks for the input! I notice there's another thread about BDDI into MarkBass.

I was initially leaning towards the FX return, but I have no volume control in this case, and the hum gets way too loud.

If I go through the front, the noise would be gone, but should I use the HI or LO gain input in this case?

The SM-400 pre is certainly not bad. It's very lush sounding, but I just find that it smooths things out too much when I want a little grit in my sound.

Bypassing such a quality tube pre seems downright wasteful. :(

4. Alex1984

Alex1984

Jan 16, 2010
    Vancouver
    Would someone be able to answer why the SWR's Master Volume wouldn't work when using effects return? I thought it would be in the power amp section after the return input.