1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sansamp PDDI Questionz

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Chronicle, Aug 27, 2007.

1. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    So i got my sansamp PBDDI! It really does affect the tone alot :oops:

So the questions:

How would i record direct to my computer? I have guitar Rig 2 [legally..wink] and I have a crappy soundcard so i heard it'll distort or something but i wanna try anyways. I've been looking for a 1/4inch to 1/8 inch apadter and seem to have no luck.

Why is the light blinking? >_>

More when i come home from class.

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

There isn't much to do.
    Plug the bass in the Sansamp, the jack output from the SansAmp into the soundcard and you're done.

3. assboglin

assboglin Banned

Jul 13, 2007
    You should be able to find a suitable adapter at Radio Shack, I believe.

4. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    Yeah i can't find it on their website :/ Obviously i can't plug a 1/4inch cable into my soundcard jazzad\

More questions:

I got it used from here on TB, no instructions sadly so..

What does Blend do?
    Presance?

5. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    http://www.tech21nyc.com/pdf/BSDR2-OM.pdf

You have them now. Bow to me. :D

Skipping the explanations in the manual... the blend knob mixes the SansAmp's effect with the clean signal it's receiving from your bass. Especially useful when you're using your SansAmp as an overdrive pedal.

The Presence knob is a high EQ boost. I don't know what the center frequency is, though I believe it's above 1KHz. I'd be careful with how much you use of this one since it brightens up your tone and brings out a lot of definition, attack, and consequently, string noise (i.e. fingers touching the strings, etc.).

6. osciphex

osciphex

Jun 1, 2001
    Suggestion: if the computer recording is distorting, reduce the volume of the mic input in the recording control panel in windows. Another idea would be to route the sansamp through a practice amp (with its EQ set flat) and route the amp's headphone out to the computer.

Blend mixes the sansamp's preamp output with an unaffected signal. So if the knob is maxed, you'd be hearing only the sansamp, if the knob turned down, you will be hearing the sound of your bass as if the sansamp wasn't there.

I forget what Prescence does... on my GK 1001RB-II, "Presence" boosts the very highest frequencies adding sizzle to the high end. I'm not sure if the PBDDI does the same..

7. BetterBottomEnd

BetterBottomEnd <- Not me I just like looking at her

Jan 9, 2007
    Cable Wi
    I've also found that the presence interacts very nicely sometimes surprisingly with the drive.

8. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    True... it's the heart of some cool grind tones. :smug: But it can be easily overdone with a bass that's tonally bright (like a Ric or an EMG-loaded bass).

9. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    Ah that explained a lot :) thanks fellas.

Can someone link me with what kind of adapter i will need though- i've looked for a good 40minutes for it ._. I need a 1/4 inch to i believe a 1/8 inch.

10. Now, what about this blinking light? Which light?

As for the cable, you want a mono 6.5mm (1/4 inch) jack plug to a stereo or mono 3.5mm (1/8 inch) mini-jack plug. (A mono-mono cable will result in your bass appearing on only one channel. A mono-stereo cable will result in the same signal appearing on both channels.) They're not that common, but they do exist.

Another option would be to use a regular guitar cable, but install an adapter on one end that converts the jack plug to a mini-jack. Although the added weight is not good for the socket in your PC.

I can direct you to the cable, but only at Australian shops! Tell us where you can shop and I'll have a look.

11. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    I can shop at radioshack, bestbuy, circuit city, staples. They all have websites with just their names like http://radioshack.com lol

Oh and i know why it blinks now- it blinks if i'm off on the preset.

12. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...+adapter&kw=1/4+1/8+adapter&parentPage=search

http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...+adapter&kw=1/4+1/8+adapter&parentPage=search

Any of those will do. I've used all three before for decent results. Audacity will allow you to turn the mono into stereo.

My personal preference is an XLR-to-1/4"-stereo cable, and then the appropriate adapter to get 1/8" stereo. All the items I linked to above are for mono.

Search for "1/4 1/8 adapter" on Radio Shack to get lots of options for both mono and stereo applications. However, they don't seem to have the elusive mono-to-stereo adapters on the site. Those can be tricky to find.

When I get a decent recording interface, I'll be using XLR-to-XLR. :)

13. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    Thanks boo, you're my effects hero!