Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sansamp Pedal DI Problem

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Wes Whitmore, May 2, 2003.

1. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Alright, thanks to the constant praise for this pedal from you guys, i picked one up today at GC. They didn't have any new ones, but they had a used one in unbelievable cosmetic condition. With some work, I got it down from 150 to 129! I got home, went ahead and replaced the battery with a new one, and plugged it in. Nothing...and I didn't get the power supply for it because I plan on getting a Boss Tu2 tuner next week and powering it from the DC chain.
    I was pretty bummed about it, and started to take the battery back out for a quick return. I hate returning things, so I started looking around for a 9v power supply on the many other pieces of various electronics that I have lying around. I found a 9v 1000ma supply running my cable router, and plugged it in. It worked!!! I messed around for a while with it on, turning the knobs without the manual, pretty much knowing what each knob did. It seamed OK, a much warmer bottom end, and some fiesty snap on the treble. No extra noise. it was pretty happy with the sound, but was contemplating if it was worth the 130 bucks, especially since it was kinda broken. Then I pressed the footswitch and turned it off. I had no idea how lifeless my old system was (GK1001RB210RBH, a GK115RBH extension cab, and a Ibanez EDA900). There is no way to duplicated the bass extension and the impact without this piece of equipment. It's weird how the brain get's used to things. Anyhow, since I have only been shopping for one of these for about 3 days, I don't know if I got that good of a deal or not. It truly is in mint shape, minus the 9v power issue, but I didn't plan on using it anyhow. if I take it back, I have to start shopping again, or pay the $190 for a new one. On top of everything, I can probably fix it if I really need the battery source to work. What would you do?

thanks,
    Wes

2. Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    so 130 is a good enough price to live with it?

3. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    If you bring it back to GC, they might fix it or replace it with a new one. It sounds to me like there's just a wire loose in the battery connector.

I use the bass driver di, it's so nice!! :D

4. Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    It has to be something pretty simple. When I changed the battery the first time, I saw that the power supply in and the leads to the 9v battery terminal where sharing the same pads, so it really has to be that terminal. I haven't tested it yet, but there isn't much more to it than replacing it am smiling!
    Thanks for the help. I am going to keep it. Now to get that Boss tuner pedal...
    Wes

5. Kinda cheesez you off when someone tries to sell you something and they don't come clean. I almost bought a Sansamp Classic from a dude who said it was "great except for some cosmetic damage." When I got to the guy's place, he plugged it in and it didn't work! "Oh, by the way, my guitarist stepped on the power supply and may have broken it." Loser...:mad:

Oh well, the BDDI kicks major butt. Can't live without it...

6. Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Lucky for me mine really is in perfect cosmetic condition. I am happy with the deal that I got, although I was expecting it to work correctly with the battery. Oh well, time to get the soldering iron out I guess. I am sure I will use the battery if I had it.
    Wes

7. be good to get the batt option working
    btw do you have to take the batt out to use the mains supply?
    i am getting a new one soon:)

8. Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Nope, The new battery is still in there, and I have been using the 9 v supply for a week.

I have sparked some interest in the new Fishman bass preamp as well. I have an Ibanez EDA900 with a fishman piezo pickup, as well as an acoustic Takamine with the fishman pickup in it as well. I wonder if I should take back the sansamp and try out the fishman...

Wes