1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sansamp: phantom or ground? when recording and rehearsing

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Langueta, Mar 15, 2008.

1. Langueta

Langueta Guest

Jul 9, 2007
    Hi, here from Argentina...and I have the para driver
    I want to know what does phantom means.....
    The problem is that I don´t know when to use the switches for recording or playing trouht the amp
    My para driver consist of 3 switches
    1)When playing with and amp
    If I conect the sansamp with the xlr output
    a-I have to put the swith in phantom or in ground?
    b-Line or output?
    c-Line or xlr?
    2)When recording direct to the pc
    a-phantom or ground?
    b-line or output?
    c-line or xlr?

Thank you very much
    Moreover, how can I get with it a similar steve harris tone

2. Phantom power is a system where the mixing console provides the power to the DI box via the XLR connector. It will NOT work if the ground is lifted.

To plug into your amp, use the normal jack socket output, not the XLR. Select "INST" not line on the "OUTPUT" switch. Since you are not using the XLR, the "XLR" switch and the ground lift switch are irrelevant.

The best set up for recording depends on the capability of your audio interface. If it has a proper balanced XLR input, then use the XLR connector and lift the ground. If it only has a jack socket, then plug in as if you are plugging into your amp. In either case, use the "INST" setting for both switches unless you are having trouble getting a strong signal.