1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sansamp + power amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Friendly_Ghost, Apr 19, 2010.

1. Friendly_Ghost

Friendly_Ghost

Feb 16, 2008
    Hey all.

For a while I was using a Sansamp onstage, plugged straight into the FX return socket on my Ashdown head. Was mighty fine, too.

I then got interested in levelling out my strings using compression and started using a Humphrey modded CS-3 conventionally through the Ashdown. It's proved a great combination and I've stuck with it these last 18 months or so.

It's only when clearing out my gear bag that I even noticed the Sansamp and I began to think that effectively I got very nice sound playing that through a budget power amp (which is all I assume goes on in an amp after FX return ... is that right?).

Queston is - I've seen power amps out there in hi-fi land, but do such beasts exist for basses? I mean, I've seriously thought that if/when the Ashdown eventually fries I might try to get it converted to that purpose anyway.

2. Implosion

Implosion

Oct 19, 2007
    Finland
    There are some companies that offer "bass spesific" power amps but I wouldn't bother with them. Any power amp will do.

3. mikeddd

mikeddd

Nov 12, 2009
    San Antonio, TX
    What he said. For example, Mesa makes a really nice (and expensive) all tube "bass" power amp. I'm sure it sounds mighty fine and weighs as much as a Volkswagen. A good poweramp (QSC/Crown/etc) will get you what you want at half the price and probably, weight. Many people run exactly what you're proposing; a Sansamp into a poweramp.

4. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    A second-hand QSC RMX 1450 can be had for $200-250 (maybe less given the rise of lighter-weight gear). Watts is cheap!

Riis

5. I do this with a sansamp VT Bass, a markbass compressore plus a boss eq pedal (just for slight room alterations) straight into a poweramp. sounds great to me ;-)

6. Sten

Sten

Nov 18, 2001
    Estonia
    Sure, the bassdriver is great played straight into a poweramp (or the poweramp section of any bassamp i.e the FX return socket). I'm ordering a Peavey IPR 1600 for mine. So my rig will be:
    - very small pedalboard with pedal tuner and Sansamp BDDI programmable
    - Peavey IPR 1600 in a 2U rack bag
    - cabinets according to the occasion

7. EddieG

EddieG

Jan 19, 2005
    Scotland
    I use a Sansamp RPM with a Europower EP1500, and get brilliant results with it.

8. rockambo

rockambo

Apr 12, 2005
    Washington, DC
    I am currently using a Crown CE 2000 power amp (b-stock from zzounds) with an inboard Aguilar OB-1 and it works better than any head that I own or have borrowed. It is clear and transparent tone. I haven't figured out how to add color to my tone, but maybe I just don't care for anything other than clear bass tone. I thought about maybe a compressor, but so far it's a no-go.

For my backup bass (active w/o a power amp) I do use the older model of the SansAmp. I found out that if you use the SansAmp to level out all the inconsistencies of the bass, i.e. noise, eq, etc., then it sounds very good and very even. Again, I don't use it as an effect pedal that colors my tone, rather a preamp that balances a lower-end bass.

9. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    You may want to consider several of the lightweight power amps before purchasing. There have been isolated performance issues with the IPR 1600:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=647138

Not trying to be a muck-raker or dissuade you from snagging the IPR, I'm just of the impression that it may be tough getting tech support / service in Estonia.

Riis

10. Alex1984

Alex1984

Jan 16, 2010
    Vancouver
    Power amps are pretty much the same for bass and PA. good PA power amps, I'd recommend QSC, Crest, Crown. I find them to be much cheaper than the "bass" counterparts, SWR Power 750 or the Mesa amps.

For the most part, PA power amps handle low impedances better and can provide TONS of power. One thing to note though, is that some amps often hi-pass filters built in for speaker and amp protection. Something to keep in mind, but you'll likely find you don't need to go that low anyways unless if you're playing a Vampyre Dark Lord :p.

SansAmp through a good power amp will make a great rig!

11. uhdinator

uhdinator

Apr 20, 2010
    Maine
    Sans Amp outs have the line and inst level switch. Set it to line to feed an amp or effect return, Set it to inst to go in the front of the bass amp.

12. Bardolphus

Bardolphus Put some stank on it... Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Prior to going to a GK, I used a Sansamp RBI and power amp with great results. The power amp was even a dreaded Behringer...