Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sansamp Power Supply??

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by pil, Jun 23, 2005.

1. pil

pil

Feb 17, 2005
    Pimlico, UK
    Okay i know this might sound like a really dumb question but im thinking of getting sansamp (the one with three footswitches) sent over from the US, as in britain their either really hard to find or stupidly expensive, the question is...

Is a 9 volt battery the same in the US as it is here - yes obviously 9 volts is 9 volts but is the actual battery casing the same size and shape??

Oh and also is it possible for one to work plugged into the higher (i think) voltages we have here with just a change of power cord, or is it a whole complicated dont worry about it and stick to the battery idea kinda thing?

Cheers

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Batteries are the same.
    You need a 240 V - 9 V adapter instead of a 110 - 9 V you'd use in USA.
    In other words, any standard UK power supply will do.

3. pil

pil

Feb 17, 2005
    Pimlico, UK
    Cheers man, thats put me in a good mood :bassist:

So the "official" sansamp adaptor as long as it's the EU one will fit and work with it? Or are you saying i need a seperate adaptor to place between the electricty source and the sanamp power cord?

4. gibsualdo

gibsualdo

Jun 19, 2006
    London, England
    I'm also in the same predicament and am interested in the answer, I'll have a shot anyway. From what I understand, the 240V > 9V adaptor would work in the same way a UK > US (240V > 110V) voltage converter would, except it lowers the voltage considerably lower than the 110V the US Sansamp 9V adaptor converts. In other words yes, an EU (230V or 240V > 9V) adaptor should be quite adequate, at least from what I gather.

Anyone else wanna chime in? It'd be nice to know for sure before I fry my new BDDI.

5. ANY 9VDC power supply, provided that it's designed for the mains supply voltage and frequency in your country, has the correct mains plug, and it the correct plug and polarity on the output end is perfectly fine.

If you buy a device new and it comes with a power supply, then by law in most countries, it must meet the local standards. ie; it must suit the country in which it is sold.

Now, all of that is a long winded way of saying; "Any power supply that works for a Boss pedal will work for a BDDI."

FYI, gibsualdo:

240-110V converters are usually just transformers that take one AC voltage and pump out another AC voltage. They're bulky, heavy and expensive for heavy duty units.

Power supplies do contain transformers, but they also contain circuitry that changes the AC voltage from the wall socket into a DC voltage.

6. Yup. I also run 240v (Australian), and I power my Sansamp with a Boss style power supply.

7. gibsualdo

gibsualdo

Jun 19, 2006
    London, England
    Cool, thanks for clearing that up for me, niftydog and arjue :)