Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sansamp preamp problem:

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassminister, Apr 22, 2002.

1. hey guys, I'm new to TB and this is my first post. I have a Sansamp Bass Driver DI that I use with a MXR EQ and a QSC PLX-1602. I have 2 basses, Music Man 5 and a Pre-Gibson Tobias Classic 5. The problem is that the Music Man sounds awesome thru the Sansamp, but when I plug in the Tobias it sounds awful! I can't figure it out. I know the Tobias is an awesome bass, but is it possible that the Tobias and the Sansamp weren't a match made in heaven? I love this setup, but maybe I need to do something else. Please help if you have any thoughts or ideas.

Thanks,
    Aaron

2. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Um, you're going to have to define "awful" if you want any help. Electronically, no reason why a Tobias wouldn't be compatible. . .

3. Sorry about that! I guess I wasn't that descriptive. What I meant was the Tobias just sounds totally muddy and doesn't have good tone at all. It actually has better cleaner tone and output to hit the bypass switch on the SABDDI! I really like the Sansamp but I can't understand why the MM5 sounds awesome and has great tone and output while the Tobias sounds like cardboard and almost no output. I know that there is nothing wrong with the Tobias b/c I just played it last week thru another rig and everything sounded as it should. I hope that I have detailed my problem a little better.

Thanks,
    Aaron

4. I've owned the sansamp pedal for 6 yrs and for
    the last 5 I could not figure out why the sound
    guy kept telling me I had a hiss in my sound which
    I could not hear because of my hearing loss and
    muso's ear plugs. I went back and read the manual
    properly and discovered that with active basses
    you have to set the EQ flat because the pedal is
    very sensitive concerning input signal. Is your
    Tobias bass active or passive ? Just when I
    thought I had it all worked out I relized I knew
    not much at all:D :D :D

5. Both of my basses are active, but the Tobias has an active/passive switch. I don't have the owners manual for the SABDDI. Where can you find it?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Thanks,
    Aaron

6. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    The thing about EQ in the manual is just that the BDDI has a good amount of bass and treble boost, so you probably won't need any from the bass's preamp (and if you add some you might get way too much total and overload things).

I don't know why your Tobias would sound so bad thru the sansamp. I play my Hanewinckel, which has a fairly similar design (neck-thru, multilaminate, Bartolini soapbars and preamp), through mine all the time. Sounds great. :)

7. abaguer

abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    Hi:
    I just bought a used SansAmp and I got the manual from the tech 21 site. Do a search for the Sansamp bass driver and when you get to the site there should be an Adobe acrobat version you could print. Or you could just read it. Good luck.

8. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    how good are these things?
    i have been told that they have terrible overdrive

9. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Who told you that? :) I think it's great, and I've heard from a lot of other bassists that it's one of the better bass overdrives (in compact form) around.

10. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    sansamp bass driver D.Is are amazing. I love mine. They customer support is great also. I think everyone should get one. I run My MM5 through it.. I just use my sansamp when recording also.. sounds great.