Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

sansamp problems ?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by i_got_a_mohawk, Mar 17, 2005.

1. Is it normal for a sansamp to sent a really high pitched screechy (basically feedback) like signal?

Ill post the settings i use, but whenever i turn up the level (or near enough anything else) i get this :(

2. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Your not using a euro spector are you? :p :D ;) :D :p

3. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I wouldn't say it sounds normal... but it does depend on the settings all the way through the chain. Try starting with the SABDDI using very minimal settings (no drive boost, Bass, Treble and Presence all at 12 o'clock, blend at 0 and level so that it's the same volume as having the effect switched off). Gradually bring things up (starting with the blend, maybe to about 12 o'clock) and see if you can identify when the problems start.

In other words, establish the parameters of your situation - troubleshooting 101 :D

Wulf

4. The problems start when either the drive is on basically, and if the treble is up then it takes the drive (kinda depends how far in the prescence is too) to be on less, and as the level goes up the more likely it is to squeel

5. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    How loud is your amp? It might be that the SABDDI is just enough to push it from being on the brink of feedback into waily horror (especially if settings like drive, level and treble accentuate it)!

Wulf

6. its a peavey firebass 700 into a 4 ohm 4x10 cab, when the sansamp BDDI is plugged into the input, with the sansamp level at about 1/4, and the amps pre-gain about 1/2, i cant get the volume up to 1/4

Ill try direct into the power amp, but i know it screeches, just not at what level

must dash off to work at the mo tho . . . ****ing bar work, ****ing st patricks day, gonna be ****ing busy!

7. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Turn the pregain way down first off, and go from that. From the short use I had with a sans, they send out a pretty hot signal. Also, do as wulf said and turn EVERYTHING way down, and build up, to isolate where the noise is coming from. Post results and we'll help ya more.

Ray

8. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I know there's a modification you can do to the SABDDI to boost up the output signal so that you can use it straight into a poweramp. I also vaguely recall hearing that output was boosted on more recent production runs.

It's possible that you've got a 'hot' one and so your giving the preamp on the firebass a much higher level. I'm hazy on the details but I think the rough idea is that if you send a signal of strength 1 to a preamp, it boosts it up to say, strength 10, at which point the poweramp stage can let you take it all the way up to 100, without too much extraneous noise and with a bit of extra colour. If your send an input signal of 10, the preamp tries to push it to 100 and the poweramp starts going "screetch!".

Wulf

9. Julius73

Julius73

Feb 23, 2004
    Italia
    Can you tell me how to make this change?

10. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    No... but do a search - I've definitely seen it mentioned on Talkbass, although I've had no need to follow it up myself.

Wulf

11. Julius73

Julius73

Feb 23, 2004
    Italia
    Thanks

12. I think my one is newish, so i recon it is, ive used it straight to poweramp, and its apparently classed as a preamp in its own rights (the sansamp BDDI that is)

I never got a chance to post my settings last night, working in a bar, on st patricks day, is not fun :scowl: :scowl:

13. No problemo.

Please let us know how you get on, if you do the modification. I've been meaning to do it to my own but........ well, you know how it is. ;) ;)

14. Julius73

Julius73

Feb 23, 2004
    Italia
    When my electrician will do the job I let you know.

P.S. excuse me for my English. :eyebrow:

15. No problem. :)