SansAmp Programmable Bass Driver DI

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Winston TK, Jan 2, 2006.

1. Winston TK

Winston TK Hairpiece Adventurer

Oct 8, 2001
    Burnaby, BC Canada
    My band is recording its new CD, and it's now time to do the bass guitar tracks.

I've decided to record primarily direct, with the option to re-amp later if necessary. But, I must say, that so far we have been getting killer bass tones with our current set-up. The key to our great tone so far? Well, in addition to some nice sounding basses, I'd have to say the real culprit is the new SansAmp Programmable Bass Driver DI.

I haven't had a chance to really work with this unit in any real depth yet. But, that's even more of a tribute to this unit's appeal. Killer sound immediately. This thing really adds some great zing to the bass tones, helping them sit in the mix incredibly well.

After one session, we're only halfway through finishing up the bass tracks. I might tweak a little more for the upcoming second half. But, I'm pretty confident that this unit will continue to shine.

The programmable presets seem to be a real improvement over the original SABDDI, even though this is my first hands-on experience with a SansAmp unit. However, I can really see how being able to store three patches for immediate recall is a great idea.

I look forward to continuing to work with this unit. Any opinions from fellow TB-ers?

--Winston TK
  2. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Is this thing on!? Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    Endorsing Artist: DR Strings, Source Audio
    I agree. The fact that I can have 3 different sound at my disposal is great. I was running clean, dirty and overdrive out of it, but now, since I have 3 basses with radically different outputs, I set up the 1st 2 channels to equal out the outputs and the 3rd channel is overdrive. My XXL and my soon to be arriving Sovtek Big Muff are gonna take care of the 'dirty' for me.

The PBDDI is definitely worth every penny.
  3. rafunk

Sep 18, 2005
    Valencia, Spain
    Yes, it's a very nice tool. I'm using it half-year ago, and I'very happy with it. Because I'm mostly play fretless, I put one sound clean , one sound with more drive and presence for parts taht need more presence of the bass, and another sound with more meddle and presence for soloing.

I'm agree with that it's like "plug&play", sound inmediately. Another nice thing it's the excrellent DI output.

The worse thing, for me, it's the overdrive sound. For this, I bought recently a Valvedrive (EBS), and the big surprise for me is how good the BD takes the sound from the Valvedrive. Now, the only difference it's that I use the overdrive of the valvedrive, and for the rest lead the BD.
  4. Hookus

Oct 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    I was actually not that happy with it. I did not like the OD a bit, and we just EQ the bass in Pro Tools after we record it anyway.

I really wanted a Sansamp for a long time, then played one, and wondered what the hype was about. I don't change sounds that much during a gig. During recording, I am not crunched for time, so we can EQ it however we want after it is recorded. There are MUCH better sounding overdrives out there.

Dunno, but just like not everyone like to drive Fords, there are a million cars on the road. So it is with effects.