Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

sansamp PSA 1, some doubts...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Lucahost, Nov 12, 2005.

1. Lucahost

Lucahost

Nov 12, 2005
    Italy
    hi everybody, :D
    I'm new in this forum but I've already been on an Italian forum (yes I'm Italian so if I write some nonsense, you'll easily guess why... :smug: )

here is my question, since I've made a little searching but I couldn't find what I wanted, I'll ask you :

I've got an eden WT550 and I would like to use the PSA 1 just as an effect, like a stomp box, not as a pre-amp (to mantain the clean sound of my eden and have some distorsion when I need it), but I don't know if this would work, someone knows how good Dirk Lance was using this thing in his rig ? if I put it in the send return of the WT550 I would have a too loud signal (and what if I put it in the input of the head exactly as if it was a stomp box) ?

suggestions opinions ?

thanx

2. Lucahost

Lucahost

Nov 12, 2005
    Italy
    anybody out there ? :(

3. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
    I own the new PSA 1.1. I think you could do both. The preamp control has enough range to tame the level of the "send" .

On the other hand, you could just use it as a "stompbox" just in front of the bass input.

I do not know how Lance used to do it. Maybe he had a clean signal split to the Sansamp and a dedicated poweramp/cabinet for it. I remember him using a 3way setup for lows, mids, highs.

I tend to keep my rig simple, using low noise devices with everything in line.
    I am using the Sansamp together with my SWR SM 500. The tuner output is feeding a dry signal to the PSA. From there it goes to the blendable effect return of the SWR. So the PSA get always the same signal, no matter what EQ tweaks i do.

4. Gastón

Gastón

Nov 28, 2004
    Spain
    i revently buy a PSA unit and i think its a great preamp, i use it with Crown power amp...One thing about PSA dont like-> a excesive Mid-Bass Sound in all presets, i use a passive pedulla rapture, what do you think about? can i fix it with a EQ(maybe in rack?)?

5. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    Here's Dirk's rig from Guitargeek.com:

[​IMG]

In your case, I'd just run the bass into the PSA and then into the eden.