Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sansamp PSA-1 vs. RBI and BDDI

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bob Rogers, Mar 1, 2005.

1. Bob Rogers

Bob Rogers Left is Right

Feb 26, 2005
    Blacksburg, Virginia
    A few years ago I had both a Bass POD and a Sansamp PSA-1. In the end I kept the POD and sold the Sansamp. I found it easier to get the Jamerson-Dunn-Kaye tone I was looking for with the POD. There was more dirt in the PSA-1 and I found it more brittle. I could see how someone going for rock tones might like the Sansamp, but for me it came in second.

I may be in a situation soon where I need a second preamp. I'd like (of course) to get something better than the POD and since I use so few of the PODs settings (I never touch the effects other than the compressor) that shouldn't be hard.

At least for the moment I'd like to hear more info on the Sansamp products dedicated to the bass - the RBI and the BDDI. Would they be a lot better than the PSA-1 for getting an old school tone?

Note: Just to give you a picture of what I'm going for - On the POD I mostly use either my tweaks of the "Motor City" (Pan-o-flex) setting (in a bright room) or the "Silver Face" (in a dead room) with the "Flip top" B-15 and "Brit Major" (Vox-100) thrown in occationally. I've tweaked these a lot using the deep editing features and play through the PA or a PA amp and speaker.

2. I have heard nothing but good things about the RBI. I have never got the oppurtunity to play one but it seems like it would have a very diverse range or tones being it has a great over drive tone but you can also get some nice tube tone. Once again this is all frmo previous research i have done, i have never played one....sadly.
    Cheers

3. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
  4. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I have to work pretty hard to get a bad tone from my BDDI. I use it over my Avalon U5 when I want that dirty tube tone that the Avalon doesn't have.

5. ++1. :) :)

6. Would it be a waste of money to use an RBI with a GBE 600? How would that work? Would it completely bypass the GBE Preamp, which I really like? Or could they both be used. I'm a bit of a noob as far as actually using this stuff goes, but I'm really interested in an RBI, dont want to waste money on something that I dont need though.

7. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I like the RBI very much...but not necessarily for a vintage sound. I find the presence knob useful for getting a great modern tone, however! That said, I bet you could dial in a fat tone if that's what you're after with little or no problem.

8. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Any idea how much this is gonna cost. i loked at Musicians Enemy and it's not there.

9. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Someone mentioned in a thread regarding this device in the effects forum that it will have a MSRP of 250. Don't know how accurate that is, but that has been the only pricing I've seen on this sucker.

10. thestevo

thestevo

Aug 12, 2004
    NJ
    I noticed on the Bass Northwest site they had the programmable version of BDDI listed for a price of $189. I'm not sure if this is accurate or not, though. I'm definently considering replacing my old BDDI with this.

Here's the link-

http://www.bassnw.com/new_effects_units.htm