Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sansamp PSA-1 vs. SVP

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PanteraFan, Mar 3, 2006.

1. I'm an owner of a PSA-1, and I was happy with it for a long time, but as things progress I'm starting to have gripes.

- I don't use the distortion on it.

- I don't like how the controls are misleading, i.e. no real mid control, Buzz and Punch are bottom and mid breakup.

- I don't like having to play with the MIDI all the time with patches, I only use one sound per bass anyway(slightly more presence dialed in for fretless).

- No real level control

The unit is super quiet I have to admit, and I can get the sound I want out of it with lots of tweaking. It seems like a mega distortion box to me, not a fully fledged pre.

So I've been looking at the SVP-PRO, it looks tasty. I run an Ampeg 8x10 and something seems right about that marriage. I tried an SVT6 into an 810E recently in a store and that Ampeg sound just seems right for me. I want gutsy punch, articulate highs and big lows if I need them(which I don't a lot of the time, we tune to Bb). The PSA-1 is tube emulation and I'd rather have real tubes. The overdrive probably won't be used, but if it's as good as people say it is I might get rid of my pedal. I'll be running the SVP into a QSC RMX1450 so I'll have gobs of power. I can also sell my PSA, buy a brand new SVP and have change, or do a trade with someone and come out richer.

My question is, is the SVP a "step down" from the PSA in terms of quality and sound? Does the SVP have that growly punch I'm after? Most of all how happy are you with your SVP?

Cheers,

PF