Sansamp PSA-1 vs. SVP

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PanteraFan, Mar 3, 2006.

1. I'm an owner of a PSA-1, and I was happy with it for a long time, but as things progress I'm starting to have gripes.

- I don't use the distortion on it.

- I don't like how the controls are misleading, i.e. no real mid control, Buzz and Punch are bottom and mid breakup.

- I don't like having to play with the MIDI all the time with patches, I only use one sound per bass anyway(slightly more presence dialed in for fretless).

- No real level control

The unit is super quiet I have to admit, and I can get the sound I want out of it with lots of tweaking. It seems like a mega distortion box to me, not a fully fledged pre.

So I've been looking at the SVP-PRO, it looks tasty. I run an Ampeg 8x10 and something seems right about that marriage. I tried an SVT6 into an 810E recently in a store and that Ampeg sound just seems right for me. I want gutsy punch, articulate highs and big lows if I need them(which I don't a lot of the time, we tune to Bb). The PSA-1 is tube emulation and I'd rather have real tubes. The overdrive probably won't be used, but if it's as good as people say it is I might get rid of my pedal. I'll be running the SVP into a QSC RMX1450 so I'll have gobs of power. I can also sell my PSA, buy a brand new SVP and have change, or do a trade with someone and come out richer.

My question is, is the SVP a "step down" from the PSA in terms of quality and sound? Does the SVP have that growly punch I'm after? Most of all how happy are you with your SVP?