Sansamp question again.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by count_funkula, May 2, 2001.

1. I asked a similiar question to this the other day.

I have a passive Jazz bass with Dimarzio Model J pups. It gets a wonderful sound. Low, full, and growly....

I play at church with 9 singers, an acoustic guitar, piano, and drums.

My sound guy does not run me through the PA for some reason and I'm afraid the great sound I'm hearing sitting right next to my stack isn't reaching the congregation.

Will a preamp, such as the Sansamp Bass Driver DI help focus the sound and carry it to the people in the audience. Will it do similar to what an onboard preamp does.
  2. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    check if your bass amp has a di output and then ask your sound tech to connect that output with the house pa. listen the difference and decide the best for you
  3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

count - It will definitely put the sound into their laps better, and I don't mean just in terms of volume. As the manual says, "gives you the sound and responsiveness of a miked-up pro stage rig." It makes your sound "bigger", "fuller," which is different from an onboard preamp.

An onboard preamp will affect the shape of your sound, whereas through the Sansamp, your bass will still sound like your bass, and how you have its onboards set.

I verified this yesterday with a luthier, with whom, I'm spec'ing out a custom. I asked if the onboard preamp isn't necessary because I go through the Sansamp almost 100% of the time. He advised going ahead with the preamp inclusion mainly because it does more sound-shaping than the Sansamp can. For instance, he mentioned the mids. If the mids aren't there when the signal gets to the Sansamp, there isn't anything the Sansamp can do to change that.
  4. I think thats what I'm wanting. My sound is perfect comming straight from the bass. I leave the EQ in the flat position on my Carvin R600 head and it sounds great comming out of the cabs. I do think that the sound is getting too "spread out" when it gets to the people so maybe the Sansamp can help with that. Thanks!
  5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

count - Just remember, it's like the BBE Sonic Maximizers, in that, when you first use it, you may say to yourself, "So what?" But when you try your bass without it, the difference is night & day.

Hopefully, if you get one, you get it from someplace they will take it back if you find it's not for you. I don't want you to come back and flame me :eek: I got mine from Bass Northwest and they have a very sensible return policy.