Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sansamp Question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by GrooveSlave, Apr 16, 2004.

1. GrooveSlave

GrooveSlave

Mar 20, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    I'm not sure if this is the best place, but I'm taking a stab.

I just tried to record with my Sansamp BDDI last night. I ran the bass into the input, the 1/4" direct out to the board, the parallel output to the input of my Demeter pre. The direct out of the demeter went into a separate channel of the board. I recorded the 2 tracks simultaneously.

The intent was to get a clean direct sound (easy with the Demeter) and blend in the Sansamp for a bit of wool.

Now the question. I was playing with the phase of the Sansamp signal and noticed that it got a lot louder (on playback) when I reversed the phase. Am I somehow going into the board out of phase by the setup I'm using?

This seems like the exact intent of the parallel out. You could do the same to have just your rig for stage sound, but if it's out of phase with the signal to the house, that can't be good for your tone.

Any input ????

2. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

What kind of board are you running too? This might be the problem; a lot of smaller mixers reverse the phase of their siganls at the output. I am sure this is to give better specs than they deserve and to add some low end control over a mix in a less than perfect setup, but that can wreak havoc on a recording setup....

Also, you may want to check the phase perspective on the Demeter. Are you using its' balnaced or unbalnced outputs?
    Ther could be a phase inversion/conversion happening between those three items (SABDDI, Pre and Board).

Max

3. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

another thought.....try running the SABDDI balanced xlr out to the board, and the paralell out to the pre amp. USe the 1/4" out of the SABDDI to run to a monitor (or not at all)
    This might aid your phasing prob.
    MAx

4. GrooveSlave

GrooveSlave

Mar 20, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Thanks Max.

I decided to not try to use the two signals together. I never even thought of all the phase reversals you mention. I'll look into them.

The board is a JBL clone of a Soundcraft Spirit. A nice little board that sounds SOOO much better than Behringer and priced about the same.

I wanted to to bypass the preamps from the board which is why I used the 1/4 out of the Sansamp.

I ended up just clipping things so that I use the Sansamp part for just one part of the song. I eliminated the overlap because it was just muddying things up. Phase issues or not.

Anyway, thanks for the replies.