1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SansAmp question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bayou_Brawler, Apr 20, 2006.

1. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    So i did some searching but didn't find exactly what i needed in the forums.

i'm running an GK800RB amp right now (LDS 2x10 and a GKRBH 1x15) and i'm trying to get a more tubey, warm, fat, round, whatever you want to call it tone. The GK is a tad harsh for me.

I'm looking into SansAmp products. the Tech 21 SansAmp Bass Driver DI or the Tech 21 Sansamp RBI Rackmount Bass Tube Amp Emulator.

Do they basically do the same thing?

I kind of the like the idea of a rackmount so i can just throw it on top in my rackmount case. can the Tech 21 Sansamp RBI Rackmount Bass Tube Amp Emulator and the GK800RB be used together?

Does this sound like a good idea or should i just sell the 800RB and buy an eden amp:)

:help:

2. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

if the gk has a preamp in/power amp out jack then yes.

3. I would get the RBI or BDDI and just run it into the input of your GK, but i always like using another preamp with my BDDI, it sounds great to board and through a PA, but by itself it sounds like its missing something when going through a bass amp IMO

4. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    The Sansamp tries to do a decent job of emulating a tube amp, but doesn't quite get there. I sold mine, along with my solid state amp and bought a tube rig.

5. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    so that's one for selling it and buying an eden.....

6. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    Find one of the ART Tube preamps for 30$ on eBay, get it, plug in, set the input gain so the tube just starts saturating, then set the output at about 1/4. Instant tube.

7. Lonnybass

Lonnybass Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2000
    San Diego
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    I doubt that a Sansamp through a GK would give you the sound you are looking for if you want something "less harsh." Not that the Sansamp is harsh-sounding by any means, but it's not going to warm up your sound enough to offset what you're hearing through the GK. The Sansamp WILL warm up a DI signal nicely, but once you hear a true tube rig you'll definitely spot the differences right away. I actually use the Sansamp as a stompbox to get an occasional grittier sound out of my ultra-tubey Alembic F-1X, but generally find that I prefer the pure F-1X tone on its own.

Check out www.basstasters.com and compare the two and you'll get an idea what I mean.

Lonnybass

8. fender3x

fender3x

Mar 12, 2006
    I gotta disagree with the general sentiments. I have just gotten a BDDI that I run throught the direct in on my 400RB. It sounds MUCH better than the GK on its own. Does it turn it into a perfect tube amp? Probably not. Will it improve the sound of your GK? Oh yeah!

9. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    I use a Sansamp BDDI through the effects loop on my Peavey Combo115 & TVX210 rig and it has done great job of warming up the rather sterile sound of my Peavey rig. It doesn't sound like an Ampeg or Mesa Boogie but it's close enough for government work.

Sansamps are great products IMHO and the rackmount RBI gives you a few more features than the BDDI. I thnk they will get you in the ball park.

10. DaveMcLain

DaveMcLain

Jun 19, 2005
    Cuba MO
    Personally I think the RBI easily sounds as good as the Ampeg SVP-Pro through a power amp and I'm very happy with mine. It'll work great all by itself just using your amp for power only and that's what I would recommend because the EQ on the SansAmp is much more powerful than it looks. Does it sound exactly like a tube amp? I would say probably not but at the same time it does sound a LOT better than most tube amps but then again tone is a very subjective thing, get one and give it a try...

11. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    good info

12. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    The RBI does have the Mid control that I find very usefull compared to my old BDDI.Either one will round out your sound.I had an 800RB for a while and found it pretty dry sounding for me but the BDDI warmed it up.If you can swing it get the RBI,you might want like it enough to ditch the GK for a poweramp but it will sound good either way.

13. fender3x

fender3x

Mar 12, 2006
    I don't disagree with this...but want to add a proviso. You can adjust the mids on a BDDI even though it does not have a knob for mids... there's a thread on this somewhere, and the "hows" are also in the manual. The advantage to the BDDI is the size. I wanted max reliability and portability. I also wanted to get by without a rack. So for me, the lil'bitty stomp box that does most of what the RBI will do is an advantage. If you are rack mounting your 800RB and have the slot, Blues Bass 2's advice is probably on the money.

14. I run the BDDI into the normal input of either my Ampeg SVT-II or my Peavey Firebass, and it gives great results with both

(only reason i use it with the SVT is because i dont often play loud enough to get the overdriven tone i like)

Its all about taste

15. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    I just checked it doesn't look my 800RB has a preamp in/power amp out jack. :spit:

so i guess i'm stuck to the pedal huh?:help:

16. BrentSimons

BrentSimons Supporting Member

Mar 4, 2004
    Vergennes,VT USA
    Bayou,
    You would be plugging either Sansamp devices into your effects return jack to bypass your preamp and turn your 800rb
    into a power amp.Hope this helps!
    B

17. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    Effects return jack is post-preamp, pre-poweramp. It'll do what you want (bypassing in the pre-amp).

18. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    I love the RBI......no it doesn't quite nail the tube sound but it comes darn close for a preamp with no tubes at all. The mid knob on the RBI is also very handy in my opiinion.

19. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    The ART Tube Pre will completely address the question posed in the original post. BTW, I guess they are more like $50. Also, Basstasters used to have some sound files on these.

The Sansamp is a fine unit, but I believe is is really more intended to send a modeled sound to a board, as opposed to creating a tube response for the amp.

20. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    i think so:) i'm not very amp savey yet....so i would stick a chord in the back of then sansamp and stick the same chord into the effects bypass jack on the back of the 800RB...then plug my instrument into the 800 or the sans?