Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SANSAMP QUICK QUESTION

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by stompfrog, Apr 5, 2005.

1. can the bass driver be used as a distortion / overdrive unit or is it just a preamp / eq tweaking machine?

thanks

2. If you want "full blown" distortion/overdrive, the SABDDI aint the baby for you IMHO.

3. Hmmmmmm.... the distortion quest continues??

sansamp vs zvex mammoth - maybe both??

I am using a boss md-2 and geb7 for the distortion at the moment which is ok but could be better.

Know of any good samples on the net of the sansamp in a distortion setting?

4. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    It can do overdrive, but it is not really a distortion unit. It is ment to model an amp including an amp being overdriven.

5. N*Joy

N*Joy

Nov 30, 2002
    Birmingham, UK
    Superb overdrive IMO but I think other units can do it for less £ given the pre-amp nature of it.

For balls out distortion, get an old RAT. I really must get some pedalboard samples dones.

6. Thunder_Fingers

Thunder_Fingers

Jun 24, 2004
    Norway
    Sorry for bumping, but, if im going for that geddy Lee overdrive, this would be the thing to get yes? since, what he use now is the rack version of it? im thinkin about buying the programmable when its released... one sound of my own, one harris sound and one geddy lee overdrive sound... or should i buy an overdrive pedal along to it? but if the overdrive works like hell, i have no reason for it, cause i dont want distortion...

7. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    It definietely can do Geddy and Steve! I do with my RBI! In fact, it's what Geddy uses in "Driven" (from Test for echo). He also uses an RBI live!

ANDRUCA

8. Thunder_Fingers

Thunder_Fingers

Jun 24, 2004
    Norway
    ooooooh.. then its no question then... when the programmable is released im gonna be the first in norway to get one :p

9. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Be aware that the BDDI/Programmable BDDI are intended for use as a pedal and so deliver just an instrument level signal, not hot enough to drive a power amp. If your aim is to use this as a preamp, look at the RBI or PSA-1 (for programmability). Good luck!

ANDRUCA

10. Thunder_Fingers

Thunder_Fingers

Jun 24, 2004
    Norway
    i practice many different places,many different amps(mostly old peaveys), and i use a trace elliot home, i will just flatten the eq on them..