Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SansAmp R.B.I Bass Pre-amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by B8ssMan89, Dec 3, 2004.

1. are the SansAmp R.B.I pre-amps by Tech 21 any good?
    Geddy Lee uses them now. Thier not that expensive either, only 299 USD.
    I really need a head for my cab. And this is one of my options.

2. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I own the RBI and the RPM (similar, but darker than rbi sound). many people, who have used them, like them (the RBI). I love mine, but you'll need and amp too! I use stewart 1.2 (1200w into 4ohms $550, 11 LBS) check out some of these RBI links on TB

3. orskard

orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    Indiana
    im looking to buy one to match with my QSC PLX1202 and my avatar 2x10. I want a simple bass preamp with a over drive kinda sound. thats why im looking at it. you can find them for around 200 if you wait it out on eBay.

4. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    The RBI will distort somewhat with the "drive" turned up, but not always a full on distortion, more like a soft break up on louder notes. The RPM will give a more "british" heavy distortion when the drive is turned way up, but the overall sound of the RPM is more dark and less revealing than the RBI.

I own one of each and finally prefer the RBI overall. I play rock christian songs for my church's kids church, not quiet, but not alternatively abrasive sound, not yet anyway.

5. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    RBI > Crest CA-6 > Acme B-4. Adds overdrive, body, but no real distortion. Comes close to the tone of a tube amp but without the maintenance issues. Just wait, I'm sure a bunch will crop up for sale in the next few weeks. Cheers.

Riis

6. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I use an RBI with a Stew 1.2 and I'm very fond of what that Presence knob can do! :smug:

7. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

One of my gig rigs is RBI -> Stewart 2.1. Sounds great, especially through my Bergantino NV610!

8. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I use an RBI into a Carvin DCM2k into an assortment of Avatar Cabs. I like the sound a lot. Pretty versatile to, IMO.

That's all

9. csholtmeier

csholtmeier

Feb 8, 2004
    omaha, ne
    I just got an RBI myself and am very impressed. Recently I have used an SVP-Pro, BBE Bmax and SVT-4Pro with my setup. I prefer the RBI by a fair margin. It just sounds huge. Really drives my power amp. Compared to the SVT-4Pro (same bass, same cab) the RBI/RMX 850 is much louder and deeper with better breakup. And this is with 400 less watts.

I can't wait to try a PSA-1.

10. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    It seems from the Tech21 website that you can "link" 2 RBIs together and use a footswitch to toggle between them... is this true? Anyone tried it? Seems like it might be a good, inexpensive way of rolling your own 2-channel bass preamp...