1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sansamp Rackmount preamp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Linehand 101, Apr 26, 2010.

1. hello-can anyone with knowledge of sansamp preamps tell me what the difference between the RBI, and the RPM?? and also the PSA 1.1---thanks:bassist:

2. At first impression;
    The RBI is super edgy with a bit of a mid scoop. The RPM is fuller or rounder capable of a broad overdrive/distortion. The RBI has less drive and not as broad, but the drive is focused on the high frequencys, making it the more edgy of the two.

I don't know which one I like better, but I run them both in parallel using the RBI as a dirty top and the RPM for a fat bottom.

3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

I pretty much agree with Ray-man. Like him, I run RBI and RPM in parallel, but I have experience with each run individually.

Yes, the RPM has heavier distortion... it'll get downright fuzzy. It also has flatter response.

I sort of agree that the RBI is brighter and has a mid scoop, but I'll add the following comments. First, the Presence (high treble) control is boost only, while Bass, Mid, and Treble are cut/boost. So if you set Presence at noon you get a powerful treble boost. Presence is also linked with the tube emulation circuitry so it'll add overdrive, too, depending on how Drive and Blend are set. Second, the mid scoop becomes more pronounced as you turn the Blend control up. That is why I keep Blend on the RBI between 40 and 60%: doing so reduces the mid scoop, and also the effect of Presence and Drive, which are both part of the tube emulation circuitry.

If I had to pick just one I'd go with the RBI: the Presence control sounds great with my tweeterless 6x10 cab, and I also prefer the softer overdrive. That said, some here prefer the RPM and I can understand that too.

The SansAmp preamps are a great bargain. I've tried plenty of high-dollar tube preamps, and still own some, but I keep RBI and RPM in my #1 gig rig.

4. I think I like the RBI better out of the two. And yes, you can mellow out the sound using the EQ, presence and blend.

A better option would be a tweeterless cab like you have.;)
    The RBI, without a doubt sounds best through tweeterless tens.