Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SansAmp RBI - 100% analog?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by amper, Feb 8, 2003.

1. amper

amper

Dec 4, 2002
    US
    Looking at the Tech21 site, they definitively state that the PSA-1 has a 100% analog signal path, but no such affirmation is given for the RBI.

And what exactly does Tech 21 mean when they say "100% analog"? Are their units all discrete, or do they just not use any digital IC's (yes analog IC's do exist!)?

I'd like to buy a PSA-1 and an RBI, but not if they use IC's...I'm a tube man at heart, but I will make the occasional exception for good, discrete, solid state gear.

I could care less about "tube emulation"--if I want tube sound, I'll get tubes to do the job. What I'm looking for is a great discrete SS preamp unit, preferably with enough flexibility for guitar and bass, but otherwise with both guitar and bass versions. The SansAmp products seem to be the closest thing to that on the market outside of studio quality mic preamps.

2. Boozy

Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    the psa-1 allows you to store your settings and lets you switch between settings with a footswitch.. that is analog/midi
    the rbi is just a solidstate tube emulating preamp. the psa-1 will give you all the options that the rbi will give you (as far as tone goes).
    both sound and work great with both bass and guitar (IMO)
    i hope that helps.

3. amper

amper

Dec 4, 2002
    US
    I actually don't really care about being able to store settings--I dial in my sound and never move the knobs again. But I would imagine that the RBI is tuned better for bass guitar than the PSA-1, no? What would really be nice is if Tech 21 made a version of the PSA-1 that *didn't *include the unnecessary (IMO) MIDI capabilities at a lower price point (say, about $300, like the RBI).

4. Boozy

Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    well if you don't care to be able to store your settings, then the rbi might be perfect for you.. i have one and i like it alot, my friend who plays guitar likes it alot too (with his guitar).. it just makes you sound good, no matter what.

good luck.

5. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    I'm sure that it's analog, and that means just that, analog. Who knows about discrete / ICs. I myself don't have any need to discriminate against ICs.

6. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I'm hopelessly addicted to tube preamps. I have a pair of the older Demeter's, an SWR Grand Prix, an Ampeg SVT IIP, an Aguilar DB659 and an RBI.

The RBI sounds better than some of the other tube preamps that I've owned. It is a great preamp at a bargain price.

Chuck