Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

sansamp RBI + ABM 4x10 + power amp. good idea? wich power amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Fliptrique, Jun 26, 2005.

1. Fliptrique

Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    Endorsing Artist: Mayones Guitars&Basses, Taurus Amplification
    Hi guys,

my first post on the new server:D

I`ve saved some cash (around 2.000), and been looking around for a new setup for some time. It seems that the best price/power ratio can be archieved by buying a poweramp and a pre...

my cab of choice is ashdown`s abm 4x10. heard it, like it. good bottom.

I play in a rock/blues band, use a 5/6 string bass with EMG`s, and like a solid, tight tone with good definition and a little bit of grind. currently playing trace elliot 200 watts - besides the serious lack of power I`m happy with the tone.

the sansamp RBI - is that a good choice for a stand alone pre? or maybe I could just use my trace as a pre?

the poweramps... i don`t really know anything about it. the stewart world 1.2 seems to be within my price limit - is it worth the extra cash?

1200 watts does seem to be a bit of a overkill, but again - i`m playing in two LOUD bands, one having a insane-loud drummer and a guitarist with a twin reverb, other having two marshall half-stacks and a keyboard player... also with that much power to spare, I will be able to add another 1x15 cabinet in the near future.

help me out guys, It took some time to get the needed cash, and I`d really like to buy something that will stay with me for a while...

2. You're on the right track. I'm using an RBI with a Stewart World 1.6 and I love it. Sounds awesome for rock 'n roll. Don't worry about 1,200 watts being too much.. you can never have enough headroom. I'd get the 1.6 if I were you.. it's got the cooling fan, which is important. I turn the power amps up pretty much all the way, and with the Sansamp at 9 o'clock or so, I'm loud. Some might say too loud. :D

3. Fliptrique

Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    "I`m too loud" .... It DOES have a nice ring to it, doesn`t it?
    :D
    In my dreams I often see a scene in wich both of the guitar players have their marshalls at 11, and I`m like... "should I crank it up to 3?" :D

4. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    +1
    In my younger days, I was sooooo tired of being drowned out by the guitar players. I'd have to sacrifice my tone in order to cut through all that obnoxious, conceited playing. :D

5. DaveMcLain

DaveMcLain

Jun 19, 2005
    Cuba MO
    I'm using the Sansamp RBI with a Crown Macro Tech 1200 amp and I'm very pleased with the sound. I got the power amp used in good condition on E-Bay. I would say that just about ANY high powered amp would work fine for this setup and it really won't be all that heavy even in a nice road case.

6. im using a sansamp with a carvin dcm2000, 2000 watts pumping at my will.(only using 700 watts through a 4x10, more then enough by alot). but yea this 2000 watt power amp cost around 550. www.carvin.com not sure if they do international shipping. i cant wait to get 2 avatar cabs this winter or next year and bridge 2000 watts to them!

7. orskard

orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    Indiana
    i got my QSC PLX 1202 off ebay for like $300 or something like that, 1200 watts. And i bought a RBI off a TBer for 200 bucks. I want to sell it and get the BBE Bmax, but that just might be because of my EQ right now.

8. I had the ABM410 for a short while (got rid of it cause my bad back couldn't handle the weight) sounded swell though. I used it with an RBI & QSC RMX1450 bridged for 1400 watts (had the 4 ohm 410). If you could get by the 40 lb weight of the amp it's a great choice for $400 new.

9. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Check this out.

[​IMG]

RBI + QSC PLX2402. Great for any style of music at any volume with enough cabs.

Your cab choice is great and the RBI with just about ANY power amp will sound good. If you have the cash and don't mind the weight get a Crest CA9. Otherwise I suggest the PLX2402.

:D

Joe.

10. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I often use the SansAmp RBI as a standalone preamp. It'll sound great through most modern power amps: Crest, Crown, QSC, Stewart...

FYI I use a Stewart World 2.1 because it's 2100 watts and just 17 pounds. :)

11. Fliptrique

Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    thanks a lot guys.

it IS a decent idea, after all :D