1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sansamp RBI and Active Bass (pre-amp) Question....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Frankjohnson, Apr 7, 2009.

1. I have been using my Sansamp into a QSC for about 3 -4 years now....and Finally had to ask/try this.

First - observations....
    passive basses - plugged in to the front - sounds fine

Active basses....plugged into the front - hit or miss.....

My 18v P bass dlx.....way too hot.

same with some of the pedal goodies.....BBE Sonic Stomp, other drivers, etc.

Some sound guys can really work well with the output, and some, the signal is way hot or fizzy.......I thouhgt bad cables on my end....

So now the question...
    Do you have beter luck plugging into input #2 on the back and padding? I mean - it only makes sense.....but to date.... (before last night anyway) .....I have never done it.

I had found that at home, and for low practice, it didn't matter, but live settings, it made a huge difference....and my actives seemed to be pretty gainy and over driven.

(I never claimed to be very bright....)

Comments/experience apprecaited......
    (I dont' know that I answered my own question BTW - not proven in live play yet)

Thanks -

2. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    I find that with active basses you have to use the volume on the amp rather than the one on the bass. Turn the volume on the bass way down so that the hot preamp doesn't overdrive the Sansamp. It works for me with G&L basses and MM basses (both have hot pickups).

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    If you have a padded input, I mean, that's what it's for, right?

4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Exactly. The only problem with using the padded input is the inconvenience: it's on the rear of the unit, rather than the front.

5. All that being said, I don't have a problem with the input on the back. The truth is - for me - out of sight, out of mind. I will leave a cable plugged in, and when input one is is use, it disconnects #2.

I felt like a moron...but honestly, don't think every user does this, or maybe is aware. Most of you smart guys....yeah.....but not me.

6. badstonebass

badstonebass

Jun 7, 2006
    ohio
    I think something is amiss.

There are so many adjustments on the RBI that you should be able to take care of any signal problems.

Maybe I misunderstand your problems.