SansAmp RBI and Behringer EP1500 (my new "budget" rig)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bazzanderson, Aug 25, 2005.

1. bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    So…for the last 10mos or so I’ve been playing a MIA Jazz Bass Deluxe V through a Behringer BX3000T into a Peavey 215X (huge 2X15”) and trying to compete in a live setting with two Marshall ½ stacks / two very loud guitarists and a heavy handed drummer. I’ve always got a loud albeit mushy and indistinct tone out of this rig (at high volumes)…it cut through but just sounded ratty at ½ (12oclock) volume setting. This is the only setting I could hear myself and I didn’t want to turn up past 12 o’clock seeing that I was just starting to clip the amp. My lead guitarist has been complaining about my muddy tone (at loud volume levels) for months now. I decided to go with an EP1500 and drive it with a SansAmp RBI. I also thought I might have to replace the 215X with a 2X12” and 2X10” or a decent 4X10”.

Last night was the 1st full band rehearsal with the RBI and EP1500 going through the 215X. I turned the volume on the RBI to almost full and the volume on the EP1500 to 11:00 and started the set. Holy ***t was it loud, very deep yet distinctly clear. The 215X has NEVER sounded so good. I was so happy to realize I don’t have to spend any more cash on new speakers or a new cab. By the last song the volume was at 10:00 (by the guitarists request ;-). My drummer informed me it was the 1st time he was able to clearly hear me (without PA support).

Point of this post? Doesn’t it make you feel relieved to finally be loud, clear and deep enough to know you can bury your guitarists and also not have to worry about a new rig for a while?
  2. sumrnitz

Aug 7, 2005
    That's a pretty neat setup that you've put together there. Being a happy BX3000T user for awhile this interested me. I've also been carefully looking at RBI's. Can you get a pretty decent growl out of it? I remember reading somewhere that Geddy Lee uses it for his "dirty" sound, which is near perfect to me for quite a few of my bands songs....but coupled to the EP1500 do you still get the ability to have both a growl and then perfect clarity by a few knob tweaks? I play pretty aggressively. I use the Behringer 1x15 and 2x10 aluminum cabs (which it really pisses a lot of TB'ers off when I start raving about my great experiences with them). I've thought about getting an identical stack with the paper cones and running a RBI w/ a power amp and use it for my jazz bass while keeping the aluminum for my 6'er. Sure would look cool having that wall behind me :)
  3. Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    IMO for the money, a pre/power setup is the way to go....especially if you want plenty of headroom.

Ever since I"ve gone with my QSC/RBI rig, I don't think i'll ever go back to heads...well maybe an SVT just for the tone, but that's it.
  4. bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    The RBI through the EP1500 can problems there at all. Mine is set up for not so much growl and more of a traditional bass heavy tone. The Blend knob totally knocks out the mids when it's turned all the way on....which is fine for bass has plenty of mids. RBI users say (and I've found it to be true) that a little bit of knob tweaking on the RBI goes a very long way. Subtle knob tweaks make a big difference in tone. This just makes the RBI versatile in my opinion.

You'll be able to growl with the RBI...not a problem at all.
  5. sotua

Sep 20, 2004
    US Northeast

Although you could hit another hurdle. Just lately I got enough juice to be clearly heard around my band. Turns out they don't like my bass tone - before, when it couldn't be heard above a distant rumble, they were fine! :p
  6. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA

7. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

LOL. The RBI is one of the weapons in my arsenal. :)

Congrats on the great rig!!
  8. I love my RBI so much. I use it before my Ampeg SVT-3Pro.
  9. bassbinge

Sep 17, 2004
    new zealand
    i presume your 215 is 4 ohms ,were you running the poweramp bridged mono or off one channel?gotta love the power!
  10. DaveMcLain

Jun 19, 2005
    Cuba MO
    I think it's amazing what adding amplifier headroom will do for a bass tone. I'm also very happy with my RBI/poweramp setup, it's simple and sounds great.
  11. Dan T.

Dan T.

May 9, 2005
    i run my rbi into the preamp of my svt4 pro, i love it.
  12. bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I was running bridged mono into the Peavey 215....I'm now running it bridged mono to a Peavey Pro 410 and a Steel Sound 210 to pull the full 1400 watts. This set up is absolutely thunderous now. The Peavey 215 was great but the Peavey Pro 410 (even at 8ohms) has better lows, highs and mids. AND is brand new. The Steelsound 210 was an addition so that I could have the 610 I've dreamed about. Actually the Steelsound 210 isn't a bad extension cab AT ALL.