sansamp RBI, anyone have anything to say for them?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by theleveebreaks, Sep 18, 2005.

1. I've been interested in them for a while now and I wanted to know if anyone on here has had some personal experience with them. Is it possible to get some killer tones out of them or are they pretty much a novelty rack add on? It would be used as my actual amp (paired up with a Stewart World 1.2) as opposed to an effect for overdrive. Thanks a lot you guys!
  2. BadB

May 25, 2005
    Glendale, AZ
    Very usable as a preamp. It's a tube emulator, and it does a pretty convincing job. You can also connect two together and switch between them using a footswitch.
  3. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    I recently purchased one and agree that it is very usable as a pre. I think it sounds great for rock, but do not like that slap tone I get out of it. Also when you dig in and play fast runs the unit seems to lag, like it cannot process fast enough. For the money you cant beat it, I have decided that I will get more use out of it as an effect rather than a pre.
  4. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I heard similar reviews. Usuable as a Pre.... but for some its better as an effect... which is why I went with the BDDI before investing in any preamps. I'd go with the BDDI as well, and if its for you, look into the RBI.... if not, maybe look into the BBE BMax and keep the BDDI for some coloration.
  5. andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Process WHAT!!!! It's not a processor but an all analogue preamp! Never heard Geddy's units "lag" live. No digital work here. Just pure analogue circuitry!

6. girlsaremean41

girlsaremean41 Banned

Jul 17, 2005
    Lancaster, PA
    I use the RBI as my preamp and I haven't ever noticed it lagging behind when I play fast........seems to keep up with me pretty well.
  7. cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    News to me too!! :eyebrow:

But maybe I don't play fast enough?! ;) :bag:
  8. remo

Jan 15, 2005
    Love mine.. MM SR5 -> Sansamp RBI what a tone.. I have so much praise for this unit.. I also use it for DI'ing my bass in my studio and so easy to dial in a tone I love.. A+++

although I did recently modify mine with new knobs on the front, I found the old pointer knobs very difficult to grab and turn without knocking the one next to it..

FYI the knobs just pull of the spline, no glue or anything.. its a 6mm 18tooth spline for the trainspotters out there, you sould be able to get replacement knobs at any electronics parts shop.. just make sure they are made to fit a circular 6mm spline.. Don't get knobs with grub (set) screws as they will mar the spline and just mess it up..

and I also added the funky blue power LED...

The unit on the top left of the RBI is a true bypass made by Brian at Loop Master.. its basically high quality passive switch that I use as a tuner mute..

(I know I need :help: )

9. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    Tried one from GC for a few weeks. Not impressed at all. It's bypass (off) mode still sucked out my tone. I'll just never be an effects-type player (except for the SM on my BMAX-T which I use sparingly).
  10. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    i have a Sansamp RBI, im very happy with it, varm sounding and very nasty and dirty overdrive on it :)
  11. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I like mine a lot. It's extremely quiet and clean. I don't notice any tone suck when bypassed.

The only caveat with it is a certain mid-scoop when the tube emulation is fully kicked in (you might like it or you might not). But like many SansAmp users, I keep the Blend control set at 50% or so... this minimizes the mid scoop.
  12. I,ve used one for a few years now and it's been a great preamp.Like Fuzzbass says,the blend knob makes it very versitile.When I first got it I turned the blend all the way up to get a thick,fat tone but after reading other users use of the blend I now get a nice midrange bite.My favorite preamp,not a novelty at all.
  13. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    For the money, probably the best you can do.

For a little more money, I think one can do better.
  14. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    Yeah well whatever it is, that is my impression. :rolleyes: Remember, it is our opinions that are being asked for. My experience with the unit may differ from yours and in case you are not sure, IT'S O.K.
  15. Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    i have one and I love it. personally I can dial in about any kind of sound I just takes a bit of tweaking.

why buy a more expensive preamp when this one does the trick? recently i've been looking around at other preamps just to try out something different but I really can't bring myself to throw down $400+ on another preamp when I already have one that does exactly what I want it to do.
  16. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    for those of you using it as an effect, how do you connect it to your amp. Use effects loop, pre/post eq? or in front of the amp?
  17. I'm using the RBI as a preamp with a Stewart World 1.6, and I can say without reservation that it sounds great. Keep in mind, I'm going for a basic rock tone and I'm a real one-tone kinda guy. But it does the trick for me. I even had a friend tell me after a gig, "If you ever sell that rig, I will kill you."
  18. Doodaddy

Doodaddy Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2005
    West Monroe, LA
    What pre-amp could one do better with? :)
  19. bump
  20. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    As with anything, it depends. Let your ears decide. I've seen quite a few tube preamps going for about $300:

SWR Grand Prix
    Ampeg SVP-Pro
    Trace Elliot V-Type

I'd take any of the above over an RBI. YMMV.