Sansamp RBI as a racked effect...how to?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Hizzoner, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Hizzoner

Hizzoner

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago area
    I wanted to know if anyone had an idea on how I can get my RBI working properly...I spoke to Lloyd at Tech 21 who was very helpful but I still can't figure it out.....

I currently send a passive signal into a GK 2001 RBP (preamp)into a poweramp..love the tone..but I still like the RBI as well...

I would like to use the RBI like a racked pedal but I have a problem...if the RBI is not in "Active" mode the whole signal is silenced...i.e.there is no output I can detect to the GK preamp. I do not have a pedal for the RBI.

Here is how I have it wired...
    jazz bass into rbi input
    sansamp output to GK input
    GK chain out to power amp

It works but only when RBI is active...I would like to be able to switch it on and off to change tones as needed, keeping the GK running at all times..Lloyd mentioned messing with the levels and pads, and I did to no avail...I also tried the send and return jacks but to no avail..I read about running the two together all the time but I did not like the sound...

any thoughts or similar experiences?

Thanks

Mark

2. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    It's not really designed for that purpose, so I think you'll be banging your head against the wall trying to do that. The only workaround I could recommend would be to send your bass signal into both preamps via a buffered or transformer-isolated splitter (NOT just a passive Y split, since you are using a passive bass); then run the output of both preamps into a an A/B switcher foot pedal, the output of which goes into your power amp.

3. Hizzoner

Hizzoner

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago area
    Bongo..Thanks for the input..your posts are always informative..

sounds like I need to simplify my thinking on this ....

4. Bluesbob

Bluesbob

Mar 13, 2000
    Springfield, TN
    What about using an effects loop?
    You'd run it before the pre-amp, and just switch it in and out. They're fairly inexpensive, you're only concerned with one button, they can be hard-wired. If the GK pre doesn't have a switchable pre-pre loop, that is. If it does, can't you use that? Or am I just not seeing the problem clearly? Get back to me while I go clean my glasses.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021