1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sansamp RBI as signal splitter???

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Willem, May 10, 2006.

1. Willem

Willem

Dec 26, 2005
    Belgium
    So inspired by James Lomenzo's Rig I was thinking of making my setup: bass -> sansamp RBI then, unneffected signal -> amp input and effected signal -> amp line input, using the RBI's effects loop for my stompboxes. This way I will have 3 signals going: 1) Amp tone, 2) Sansamp tone and 3) Sansamp tone with effects. All that with only one amp, one cabinet and one signal (amps DI) going to the PA.

My questions:
    - Can I connect the RBI in this way to a regular head (Ashdown ABM)?
    - Is it bad to put a signal two times through a preamp? (the uneffected tone will go through the sansamp AND trough the ABM's pre...)
    - Stompboxes (Compressor, Distortion, Flanger) in an effects loop, will this work well?
    - Is it better to put the uneffected signal trough the stompboxes and in the ABM's input?
    - Are there devices other than the RBI I can do this (better) with?

Help and suggestions are greatly appreciated:) .

2. With (I'm assuming) no level adjustment on the line input it will be comparatively very low in level.

It's likely that the line input is not effected by the tone controls on the amp.

There's a chance of phase issues between the two signals, but you won't know until you try it.

Personally, I can't see much benefit coming from it, but that shouldn't matter to you! Seems to me that you could achieve much the same result by futzing with the RBIs blend control, after all you are essentially just trying to mix the clean and sansamped tones together, right?

3. idoru

idoru

Dec 18, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    The only things I can think of are:

* a signal going through two pre's _may_ pick up more noise along the way (not too likely from the uneffected output of the RBI).

* having three seperate signals may seriously dilute the presence of your effects.

cheers,

4. Willem

Willem

Dec 26, 2005
    Belgium
    Thanks for the answers.

I should be able to control the outputs from the RBI, so I thought that would be no problem.

Yeah I'm first of al trying to mix a clean signal with my effects. Without going the bi-amp road. And the idea was to keep my pedalboard small and put as much as possible in a rack. But that's a lot more expensive.
    Thing is also, I don't even have an ABM, but a MAG and that doesn't have line input. That's why I edited my message:rollno: .
    So I'm gonna take a look at the Xotic X blender when it's released and keep it simple: bass - pedalboard - amp. And put everything I would've put in my rack on my board (tuner, blender).

Thanks for the input Idoru and Niftydog!:bassist:
    Greetz