1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sansamp RBI fried...Bass Driver sub not cutting it.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by badstonebass, Jul 24, 2016.

1. badstonebass

badstonebass

Jun 7, 2006
    ohio
    I have used Sansamp products for years, 10+ years to be more accurate.

I originally used the Bass Driver as a pre amp into power amp rig.

Later on I replaced the Bass Driver with a RBI.

Friday night bad festival power fried some gear...including my RBI. Going to send it in for repair. Pulled out my old Bass Driver for a temp fix and to be blunt it stinks.

With the RBI my rig could knock down the walls of Jericho. Not that I NEED to be that loud but the headroom is great and with 2 Marshalls on stage with me that little nudge is awful nice. With the Bass Driver I can barely get loud enough before the power amp starts clipping and the RBI destroys it for tone.

I thought the RBI was just a rack version of the driver. I didn't remember that much difference back in the day when I got the RBI, but is this normal or am I doing something wrong. Any help appreciated I will really be suffering until that RBI comes back.

JRA_BaSsNiNjA likes this.
  2. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I don't know about the pedal but I can attest that the RBI can destroy speakers if not careful!

3. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Old bass drivers had that problem. On new ones you can switch the 1/4" output from instrument level to preamp level.

Al Kraft and MYLOWFREQ like this.
  4. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    New York
    I heard that the bddi doesn't put out as much power as the rbi to be used as a preamp before a power amp.

5. RockDoc

RockDoc

Jan 5, 2007
    Not that this addresses your specific question, but you might find the following thread interesting and relevant:

Tech 21 SABDDI V2 with Mids

Nephilymbass likes this.
  6. badstonebass

badstonebass

Jun 7, 2006
    ohio
    Any known remedy for the issue?

7. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Nope.
    Not without additional equipment like a new bddi or another kind of preamp.

8. tech21nyc

tech21nyc Commercial User

Aug 17, 2010
    Manufacturer: Tech 21
    What was the RBI or Bass Driver plugged into?

9. Sucks, I love my RBI, got mine when they first came out and it's still kicking. All the labels for the jacks on the back of mine are worn off but the front still looks like new. I've been considering getting the new bass driver with mid control as a backup but am concerned it won't have the headroom the RBI does.