SansAmp RBI - good for 'guitar'???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Phyrexian, Mar 4, 2003.

1. Hi Bassshers,

I've got another gear related question for you guys. Like I mentionned in previous threads and posts; I'm both a guitar- and a bassplayer. Because of that, I'm very fond of finding the ultimate 'dual-rig'.

My current rig is a Tech 21 NYC SansAmp PSA-1 preamp. No poweramp yet which I can use for bass (I own a Marshall Valvestate 8008 though, which's good for guitar usage).
    I like the SansAmp PSA-1, and it's versatility, very much. I just love the sounds of it.

I also like 'easy' gear, you know, just buttons, no bells and whistles, just buttons!
    I like the sounds I get from a sansamp, so I thought about the SansAmp RBI. It's easy gear, just buttons to turn and the sound should be there.

My question is: would a SansAmp RBI fit for a dual rig, like a PSA-1 fits? I mean, the RBI would be good for bass-playing through it, but would it sound good with a guitar (note; I play metal, thus hi-gain is my motto :) ) ??

Any thoughts, experiences, ideas about using a Tech 21 SansAmp RBI for guitar (and hi-gain!)?

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Dunno about the RBI.

I have a Behringer Vamp2 that I plug into my bass rig (actually bass pre and Vamp feed mixer that feeds power amp) for guitar duties and depending on the amp model that you choose, it can shread with the best of them. The onboard speaker emulation tames the highs so my tweeter equipped cabinets stay happy.

I also found the Mesa Dual Recifier model excellent for over the top bass distortion...the low end stays firm while the top screams...a real blast with Fender Hamm Urge and a pick.

And Vamp 2s are cheap in the US...$129 at Guitar Center or
  3. Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    I have SansAmp DI, and no, it's not much use for guitar, frequencies of tone control are set too low for it.
  4. isnt the RBI basically a hot-rodded PSA-1? If so, crunch away. I'm pretty sure it is.
  5. Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    I thought that RBI is the rack-mounted version of SansAmp DI, with added midrange tone control?
  6. Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    my friend plugged his geetar into my sansamp di (before I traded it for the rbi) and it sounded great.. he just used it as a stomp box with his les paul copy/marshall 100w/peavy 4x12.. it really fattened up his sound.. I liked it, so did he.. sure he wasnt using it as his preamp (he was still using his marshall pre).. i think if you had the drive on full, treble on 3/4 full and everything else at 12:00 it would sound pretty good.. i'll play around with it (with his guitar, marshall, etc) tonight and let you know what I think.