Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sansamp RBI or BMax-T (or ashdown rpm)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by stinky_UK, Feb 3, 2005.

1. stinky_UK

stinky_UK

Feb 3, 2005
    I have just sold my Marshall VBA rig due to size restrictions in my new very very small house. ?i a mlooking at a pre/power setup for easy storage (eg in bits!). I seem to have the opportunity to buy (only over internet) BMax-T ot RBI for about the same price. I am in UK and both are rare so it seemsm with the bmas twice the price of RBI. i play rock/pop type music in a variety of bands so would like some variety but not too muc to get bogged down with. i play a MM Sterling as my main bass but have a MIM Precision for use in a tribute band. What would you recommend? sorry i know its been asked before, but i have only listened to samples from internet and thats all i can do as i will be buying blind, well deaf !! The ashdown's i know are nice but are more money again! Thanks....?

2. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    search on this and you'll find lots.

3. stinky_UK

stinky_UK

Feb 3, 2005
    i did search and it was pretty much 'horses for courses'. I wondered if anyone used a MM Sterling through either of them? I liked an old SS Ampeg i had and the all valve (tube)marshall, so somewhere between the two would be my ideal.

4. ster

ster

Oct 18, 2003
    New Jersey
    Sansamp RBI.

5. orskard

orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    Indiana
    hey, i just bought a RBI off a TB member and im waiting for it to get here in the mail. I too was looking at either the RBI or the BBE, i went with e RBI because it has a better rock tone i have been told. Plus i found a better deal on it. I was told that the BBE has a more modern tone, if that makes sense.I think the only reason i would get a BBE would be for the built in sonic maximizer.

I cant wait to get mine and run it with my QSC PLX1202 and avatar 2x10. I want to add a bag end 15" and make my rig complete.

6. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    I use a Stingray 5 through an RBI, with compressor and 5-band parametric EQ on the loop and to a Power amplifier to Hartke cabs (4.5XL + 215XL). All I can say is.. AWESOME!!!!

ANDRUCA

7. stinky_UK

stinky_UK

Feb 3, 2005
    Cheers guys - especially the MM player!! :bassist:
    Now, i was looking into the Bmax a bit more and cant find anyone in UK who sell it with a website.(i saw it on ebay) So that put me off a bit. Also, the Tech21 people have been more than helpful-answering all my queries and emailed me a copy of the pdf manual!! Brilliant service. I'm going for the RBI - listening to the landmark samples (as was told from tech21 they are representative of the RBI sounds) well impressed through decent headphones and not crappy monitor built in speakers! Now got to find one on internet in eroupe... Thomann are out of stock!!
    Thanks everyone - by far the best bass forum i've seen!!

8. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    You might also want to consider the RPM.It is the same layout as the RBI minus the presence control, but it has a variable mid sweep in its place. The bass and treble center frequences are the same as the RBI. I own 1 of each, and I love them both, but the RPM is more versitile just because of the variable mid control.It especially helps on a MM bass that has a very unique voice.I play my MM basses through both.Happy shopping.

9. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Bought mine here (http://www.musicstore.de). They're in stock now for 379 EUR + shipping. Good luck!

ANDRUCA

10. stinky_UK

stinky_UK

Feb 3, 2005
    So does it have the same drive, blend controls etc. basically could i get the same sound of the RBI from this? Does it have the same inputs/outputs? Tech21 website not that helpful! I can live without the presence control as i have a boss LMB3 and that enhances very well! Of course i cant find a manual as i'm in rip off britain with no products that i want available!!! thogh i have found a RPM in stock...

11. stinky_UK

stinky_UK

Feb 3, 2005
    thanks - never came up on google search! know where i can get a RBI as well?!?