1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sansamp RBI Owners - Why didn't you buy a Landmark?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rabid_granny, Nov 5, 2004.

1. Just curious, why did you buy only the pre-amp and not the head?

2. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    1) Already owned a QSC PLX1602 when I decided to get my RBI.

2) As separate components (and with the PLX being a stereo amp), I felt the RBI/PLX combo would be more versatile (and more powerful) than the Landmark 600.

3) I guess with the added weight of a 4 space rack case, the difference narrowed down a bit, but the RBI/PLX combo weighed in at 26lbs vs. 40lbs for the Landmark 60, and it was better protected and easier to transport because of the rack case.

- Frank.

3. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Indy
    Probably the same answer for all preamp buyers - already had a power amp and/or like the versatility of being able to switch preamps (during a show or at some future date) for whatever reason.

4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Pretty much a ditto, but to be specific:

Already had a pair of Stewart 2.1 racks. Stew + RBI + RotoRack = less weight than Landmark 600. More bulk, but I don't care about that.

I prefer modularity. I have the two racks, and four preamps. I mostly alternate between RBI and Read Purity, but it's easy enough to swap one of them for, say, my Ampeg SVP-Pro.

5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

P.S. True, the Landmark has the channel-switching feature which is very cool, but RBI + RPM + Stew + Roto would still be lightweight (I'm still considering adding either the RPM or another RBI).

6. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    When i was putting together the initial phases of my rig-i hadn't thought about much besides just going RBI + poweramp so that i would have all the power i'd ever want. Right now i just have an RBI + a BBE BassMaxT, yet have thought about filling my final rack space w/another RBI or an RPM.

That's all

7. I'm running the RBI through the effects return of my bass head and combo. I play in two bands, therefore two situations. Anyway, I plan on buying a QSC PLX and put them into an easily transportable rack (if one exists).. This will give me tons more watts and power. I believe everyone should feel the power of my bass and have their chest (or whatever) shake and vibrate :

8. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Power.

9. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I bought an RBI with a STewart 1.2 amp (1200w into 4ohm) with a skb rack.

twice the power, about the same weight as L600.

bought the RPM later decided I just needed the RBI.

10. joetheragman

joetheragman

Oct 4, 2004
    florida
    A pal of mine made me a godfather deal on a Carvin dcm 1500 power amp, so the RBI in a rack made sense. Plus, in a sense, you have a sort of back up with a stereo power amp, as long as the power supply doesnt go. I also have some other stuff to put in the rack. But if you are at a point where the Landmark makes sense, by all means get it. My sense is that it is probably a monster good amp. Also, on rare occasions we get hired to play behind other acts as their band when they come to town and I like being able to take the preamp with me in a computer bag, go through the board and just use the monitors for stage bass. On an even rarer occasion I was called in to do the bass for a Christian contemporary group in the studio and I just brought the preamp. Of course, if you had the Landmark, there are alot of little preamp pedals/boxes you could use, Hartke Bass Attack, Sansamp pedal for instance. It is a bit too risky just to trust a place or a studio to have something useable.

And in the end, let weight be your guide!! I am up around 48 pounds with my rack now. It has wheels but I still have to pick it up.