Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sansamp RBI Owners - Why didn't you buy a Landmark?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rabid_granny, Nov 5, 2004.

1. Just curious, why did you buy only the pre-amp and not the head?

2. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    1) Already owned a QSC PLX1602 when I decided to get my RBI.

2) As separate components (and with the PLX being a stereo amp), I felt the RBI/PLX combo would be more versatile (and more powerful) than the Landmark 600.

3) I guess with the added weight of a 4 space rack case, the difference narrowed down a bit, but the RBI/PLX combo weighed in at 26lbs vs. 40lbs for the Landmark 60, and it was better protected and easier to transport because of the rack case.

- Frank.

3. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Indy
    Probably the same answer for all preamp buyers - already had a power amp and/or like the versatility of being able to switch preamps (during a show or at some future date) for whatever reason.

4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Pretty much a ditto, but to be specific:

Already had a pair of Stewart 2.1 racks. Stew + RBI + RotoRack = less weight than Landmark 600. More bulk, but I don't care about that.

I prefer modularity. I have the two racks, and four preamps. I mostly alternate between RBI and Read Purity, but it's easy enough to swap one of them for, say, my Ampeg SVP-Pro.

5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

P.S. True, the Landmark has the channel-switching feature which is very cool, but RBI + RPM + Stew + Roto would still be lightweight (I'm still considering adding either the RPM or another RBI).

6. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    When i was putting together the initial phases of my rig-i hadn't thought about much besides just going RBI + poweramp so that i would have all the power i'd ever want. Right now i just have an RBI + a BBE BassMaxT, yet have thought about filling my final rack space w/another RBI or an RPM.

That's all

7. I'm running the RBI through the effects return of my bass head and combo. I play in two bands, therefore two situations. Anyway, I plan on buying a QSC PLX and put them into an easily transportable rack (if one exists).. This will give me tons more watts and power. I believe everyone should feel the power of my bass and have their chest (or whatever) shake and vibrate :

8. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I bought an RBI with a STewart 1.2 amp (1200w into 4ohm) with a skb rack.

twice the power, about the same weight as L600.

bought the RPM later decided I just needed the RBI.

9. joetheragman

joetheragman

Oct 4, 2004
    florida
    A pal of mine made me a godfather deal on a Carvin dcm 1500 power amp, so the RBI in a rack made sense. Plus, in a sense, you have a sort of back up with a stereo power amp, as long as the power supply doesnt go. I also have some other stuff to put in the rack. But if you are at a point where the Landmark makes sense, by all means get it. My sense is that it is probably a monster good amp. Also, on rare occasions we get hired to play behind other acts as their band when they come to town and I like being able to take the preamp with me in a computer bag, go through the board and just use the monitors for stage bass. On an even rarer occasion I was called in to do the bass for a Christian contemporary group in the studio and I just brought the preamp. Of course, if you had the Landmark, there are alot of little preamp pedals/boxes you could use, Hartke Bass Attack, Sansamp pedal for instance. It is a bit too risky just to trust a place or a studio to have something useable.

And in the end, let weight be your guide!! I am up around 48 pounds with my rack now. It has wheels but I still have to pick it up.