Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

sansamp RBI + power amp: nice idea?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by panazza, Jan 28, 2005.

1. panazza

panazza

Nov 23, 2003
    italy
    what do you think about putting together a sansamp RBI and a power amp? I see some of you have a similar setup, but my question is...

will it really replace a SERIOUS amp?

keep in mind that I could be planning to replace my marshall vba400 all valve head with the sansamp/power amp duo.

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Well, if you don't put a power amp with a Sansamp RBI, the RBI won't make any sound at all :smug: Seriously though, an RBI is just a preamp.

What do you mean by SERIOUS amp? If you mean volume or wattage, if it's hooked up to a decent power amp it will have far more of both than your Marshall has. The only difference between using a preamp+power amp rig and a one-piece head is that the pre/power amp are stored in the same unit on the head.

3. PB+J

PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    It's a great setup--I play 4-8 gigs a month with a QSC PLX 1202 and a sansamp RBI. The sansamp does not sound exactly like a tube amp, but it doesn't weigh as much or cost as much. The eq is flexible and powerful. It's definitely a serious amp rig.

I'm happy with mine--I may buy an SVP-CL preamp, just for comparison. I sometimes think I miss real tubes. But really there's no need--the sansamp is fine.

4. Brief Hijacking. sorry
    Bryan, your art is wonderful, great site too.

Panazza,
    Preamp Poweramp set ups are great and versitile.

5. panazza

panazza

Nov 23, 2003
    italy
    I am not talking about voulme and wattage... I am talking about sound... I mean... does the sansamp sound good compared to a serious amp?

I know that the sansamp is only a preamp.... :rolleyes:

6. panazza

panazza

Nov 23, 2003
    italy
    I could even afford an ampeg tube preamp, but I think the sansamp could be more versatile... I find the ampeg sound a bit too muddy, and I hope I could shape a different sound with a sansamp...

7. ardorx

ardorx

Sep 23, 2004
    Sugar Land, TX
    Ive had my Sansamp RBI since christmas. I'm running with a QSC RMX 1450. I really like the way it sounds and it gets really loud. It has good tone, easy to get a sound you like and doesnt weigh alot. I would reccomend it.

8. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I didn't mean to sound condescending-it's just the way you asked "what do you think about putting together a sansamp RBI and a power amp?" made it seem like you thought it could be run without one.

Oh, and thanks Big String!

9. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Take my opinion with a grain of salt as the Sansamp that I have is the BDDI, which is basically a non rack version of the RBI, but without the mid control.

My BDDI sounds fantastic. I've stopped using it as a preamp now that my Mesa/Boogie head has shown up, but it did a damn fine job before that. There are two things that I didn't like about it as far as tone is concerned. The bottom end on this thing is huge, its very easy to dial in a huge serving of mud if you're not careful. The other thing is that the highs can become overly bright, clangy (if that's a word), and sometimes harsh. Finding the right combination of the treble and presence controls is sometimes tricky depending on the situation. Overall I think they do a great job, and the two "issues" I mentioned are easily resolvable once you get a hang of the EQ and realize that a little adjustment equates to a huge tone difference with this thing.

Provided the RBI is similar to the BDDI in those regards I think it would be a great setup.

10. panazza

panazza

Nov 23, 2003
    italy
    just to understand my situation...

I am renting this huge marshall head and I'm planning to buy it.

but I often play at low volumes, so I can't push the valves like they should be, and I am worried about the cost of valves to replace... and this head is fragile, heavy... and too powerful.

So, I know the sansamp won't sound like the "real thing", but I must consider other factors above than sound...

and I don't know what to do....

11. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    My rig is basically a sansamp-poweramp rig. I'm thinking about getting a second sansamp to run dirty/clean. It's a great preamp.

12. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

One of my gig rigs is a SansAmp RBI into a power amp. To answer your question: it *is* a "serious amp".

The RBI has a certain tone to it... some like it, some don't. So, while I happen to like the RBI, you might not. This is true for any piece of gear: for example, not everyone would buy a Fodera even if s/he could easily afford one.

13. panazza

panazza

Nov 23, 2003
    italy
    and what about this instead of the sansamp?

real tubes here...

[​IMG]

14. I think the Ampeg would sound great,I loved my SVT back in the 70's.That being said I also love my RBI/Crown pre-poweramp setup.It's more versitile and gets a good SVT type tone plus a good clean sound if you want.Definitly a serious amp.Either of those preamps with a good poweramp would sound great.

15. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    one thing to consider. the effects of preamp tubes and poweramp tubes are quite different. you may like the marshall sound due to the tube poweramp section. the amped svt cl is a nice preamp, but using that with a solid state power amp wont sound like using an svt classic head.

i'm still wondering what a "serious" amp is...........

16. panazza

panazza

Nov 23, 2003
    italy
    well, I need a solid state power amp... I love the sound of a valve power amp but

a)I can't afford valve replacements
    b)I usually play at low, very low volumes... so low that I can't even push the preamp of the marshall...!!!

for serious amp I mean something that...well I don't know! :p

my laney 120w combo isn't a serious amp...

my marshall head is THE AMP... :D

17. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    you might be happy with a 100 or so watt all valve amp. that way you get the sound you like at the volume you play at.

and you really dont need to replace valves all the time.

18. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Tubes=Valves? Whaaa?

19. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    ya, tubes act like a valve is the way they operate, hence the brits and others on that side of the pond call em valves.

20. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I run an RBI, along w/an RPM, and a BBE BMax Tube, into a Carvin DCM2000. The RBI [as with any of the other pres i own] is capable of sounding amazing. I like it-i like it far better for electric bass than upright [the RPM sounds a lot better for upright]. Nice and versatile-plus it's small, light, and there's very little that could actually go wrong. That's all