Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SansAmp RBI (preamp) gain quesiton

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by amos, Dec 26, 2003.

1. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    I'm using my SansAmp RBI as dedicated pre. Because of this I run the output level at max. I do get quite a bit of noise. I have to run the gain on my Equalizer down or else I clip my power amp.

If I had a preamp with a dedicated gain, would this help singal-to-noise ? I know it would also help my tone.

considering:
    ampeg
    aguilar
    alembic
    demeter
    bmax-t

thanks for the help

2. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    pretty much decided on the bbe bmax-t. it's fairly new unit so i will post some pics and a short review when i get it up and runnin with my qsc plx 1602 and two aguilar gs112s

amos

3. kasbrey

kasbrey

Aug 23, 2002
    Northampton UK
    I run my RBI from the 1/4" out at between 12 o'clock and 2 and find this is more than enough to drive even my QSC RMX850 (I got rid of my Bass Pod Pro because of not enough output). I haven't noticed any noise problem although the recommended settings in the manual result in far too trebly a sound with resultant hiss.
    Turning the blend control down to 10 o'clock or below cures this problem best for me though I suppose turning down the presence is another alternative.