Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sansamp RBI / QSC or EBS?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Fangry, May 16, 2002.

1. Fangry

Fangry

Apr 27, 2002
    Helsinki, Finland
    Ok, now that I've kinda decided I'll be getting a rack system to power my 8Ohm 410 cab I'm getting deals from shops and these two do seem rather tempting:

Sansamp RBI
    QSC Powerlight PL 1.4 (used)

or

EBS-1 (used)
    EBS EP800 w/ SKB 4U RACK (used)

I'd like your opinions on which of these would seem a more sensible option. I play mainly heavy metal.

Also, any thoughts on the QSC PL series? I've never heard them mentioned in the bass playing community, and new they seem to be a bit pricey. However, their power ratings (1400W @ 8 / 1000W @ 4 bridged) and weight of 18lbs / 8.2kg are tempting.

Thoughts?

2. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I'm not familiar with this EBS unit, but I can tell you that if it's anything near what the Fafner or HD350 is, you're far better off with that than the SansAmp.

3. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Mark Browne (Melissa Etheridge, Simple Minds, et al) uses a PowerLight 1.8 in his rig.

4. Fangry

Fangry

Apr 27, 2002
    Helsinki, Finland
    Bob,
    I was looking at the PL manual..

What's with the "“Touch-Proof” binding posts"? No conventional output connectors?
    I'm confused.

5. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Hei Fangry,

How much more conventional can you get than binding posts?

6. Fangry

Fangry

Apr 27, 2002
    Helsinki, Finland
    Now I feel a bit embarrassed :)

It's just that I've never seen but 1/4" and speakon connectors, my cab has 1/4", and am wondering how do you connect a cab to the amp!

Poweramps in general don't seem to have 1/4" outputs.

7. Bob Lee (QSC)

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    That's true; power amps seldom have 1/4" outputs any more. There's good reason for that! ;)

With binding posts, you have several options for connecting the speaker wire:

1. Loosen the barrels of the binding posts. Strip the ends of the speaker wire about 13 mm. Insert the wires fully into the side holes of the respective binding posts. Tighten the barrels so that they clamp onto the wire securely.

2. Same as #1, but affix a spade lug (12.9 mm wide, with 6.3 mm slot) onto each wire. This applies to PowerLight amps made since sometime in 1996, when we started using binding post connectors with slots to accommodate spade lugs.

3. Use a pair of banana plugs (or a dual banana plug). On amps sold in the EU, the end holes of the binding posts have plastic plugs inserted due to CE safety regulations, but you can insert banana plugs into the side holes.

8. Fangry

Fangry

Apr 27, 2002
    Helsinki, Finland
    Thanks a lot, Bob, as others have often said, it's good to have you here :)

I just got a bit worried not being able to stick a regular speaker cable right in the back of an amp... but I'll definitely consider the 1.4. Looks good.

9. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    A vote for the RBI...I'm constantly impressed by mine.

10. Is it versatile enough for you?

11. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Moi? Yep, it sure is...

12. Fangry

Fangry

Apr 27, 2002
    Helsinki, Finland
    I've been wondering about the RBI. Everyone's saying how great it is and recommending it to anyone, really. But I must have missed on what the point really is, besides tube emulation (bet there isn't one :) ). And just is it suitable for my heavy rock application.

13. Fangry

Fangry

Apr 27, 2002
    Helsinki, Finland
    Bump

14. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    I have a SABDDI used as a pre (basically same thing) They have decent EQ, good sound (from "hi-fi" to warm/gritty) and are versatile. You should like it for heavy rock :D

15. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    What's your point? ;)

It's a preamp with a tube amp emulator, and it can do a very nice SVT sound, among others.

16. Fangry

Fangry

Apr 27, 2002
    Helsinki, Finland
    Point? Oh, I seldom have one. I'm usually like that, confused and not really even knowing what is it I wanted to know ;)

Ok, that's what I wanted to know.
    Sheesh, here I go again bothering people with my "everyone says it's good; is it good?" questions :)

17. 810wmb

810wmb

Jan 29, 2000
    does the sans amp bass driver (stompbox version) have enough juice coming from it to drive a qsc amp?

bob lee was going to find out a while back. if you posted without me seeing bob, i'm sorry.

some folks say yes, some no.

anybody?

18. K Dubbs

K Dubbs Just graduated from OSU, Go Bucks!

Mar 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    no, the di box version of the sansamp doesn't output very much voltage. It is my understanding that the boxes can be easily modified to run straight to a power amp and effectively, but that depends how technologically inclined you are. the rbi rackmount version outputs at 0db though, and requires no modification

19. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I've also heard that driving a poweramp with a SABDDI can be an iffy thing.

For QSC, I think Lord Valve will modify new poweramps bought from them to require a lower input voltage to drive to peak - Bob Lee, can you comment?

20. Fangry

Fangry

Apr 27, 2002
    Helsinki, Finland
    Anyone with an answer for the original question?