Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sansamp RBI, QSC poweramp and Avatar 2x10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by orskard, Oct 16, 2004.

1. orskard

orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    Indiana
    Hey, i think i finally decided on the pre. the sansamp RBI. I would run it with a QSC poweramp, hopefully the PLX if i have the money, and into a avatar 2x10 and add a 2x12 soon if i have the money.

does that sound like a solid rig? now i play in a ROCK N ROLL band. but im sure my style will change some time. all i need is a good rock n roll bass tone, maybe some slight over drive when needed.

some praise the overdrive on this, others only complain about it. how do you feel?

what about running a tube mic pre with it? some people said it boosts the signal and make it a little warmer.

2. For a good rock tone with slight overdrive, it would be a pretty solid rig. I'm not a huge fan of the overdrive on it, but as long as you don't want loads of dirt the RBI would probably do the job.

Would I prefer a tube pre for better overdrive and overall tone? Absolutely.

3. orskard

orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    Indiana

one of the ampegs??

4. I have the Ampeg SVP-Pro, which I chose directly over the RBI. I haven't really tried a whole lot of other tube preamps so I can't really speak as to whether or not Ampeg is the better option. I can say that I preferred the sound of the Ampeg though.

5. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    If you're considering buying a PLX series amp to power any single cab, I would STRONGLY encourage you to look at a Crest Audio CA-4 too. It's heavier, but it kicks out the lows.

I used to use a Stewart 2.1 now I use a CA-6. I lost 600 watts in the switch, but my low B string sounds MUCH better. Switching amps have to go to the wall when you add the strain of those low notes. The big honking transformers in the CA have the power to spare already saved up.

I know this is a recurrent debate around here. All I'm saying is...go try a CA series amp and let your ears decide. I am ALL too happy to carry an extra 20 lbs for what I gained in the trade.

6. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    You'll really have to decide for yourself if the overdrive tone is for you. I've never tried one...but it's all personal preference.

As for Avatar cabs...a B210 + B212 would be a great pair! If you haven't bought either yet and can swing the price difference, get the 2x12 first. It has much, much better low end response! The B210 adds wonderful upper mids but the B212 makes a better stand alone IMO... YMMV etc.

And get 8 ohm cabinets too... In the stereo mode, your amp will run cooler and you could bridge into 4 ohms (the two 8 ohm cabinets in parallel).

7. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    +1

sounds like a good rig

8. orskard

orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    Indiana
    first off i already have the 2x10, in 4 ohms. so i when i get the 2x12 should i still get a 4 ohm? or 8 to cool it down? but wont it run not as loud then?

9. ojthesimpson

ojthesimpson

Jul 21, 2003
    Draper, UT
    I dont dig avatar cabs but I play rock with sansamp Di going into a Gk to an Ampeg 8x10
    I couldn't be happier with it, sansamps are magical.

10. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

The RBI won't give you over-the-top fuzz, but that's not what you want anyway. I think you'll be very happy!

11. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    What does that mean?

12. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    Hey man, I've got that exact amp setup for sale if you're interested. SansAmp RBI, excellent condition and a QSC PLX 1602 (currently bridged @ 4 ohms) in excellent condition as well that I was kind of looking to trade down for, but would easily sell it to you.

13. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I'm using an RBI, Crest CA-6, Acme B-4 as my primary rig. Almost qualifies as a "budget" rig! The RBI carries about 90% of the traditional tube tune with virtually no background noise and no reliability / service issues.

14. I'd get another 4ohm cab... You could run them in stereo at 4 ohms / side of the amp. Most good poweramps these days can handle a 2ohm load as well so you could probably even still bridge it if you really wanted to.

15. joetheragman

joetheragman

Oct 4, 2004
    florida
    Hey, that is a wonderful set up.

I want one.