Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SansAmp RBI Question...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BillSC, Jun 25, 2002.

1. BillSC

BillSC Guest

May 30, 2002
    Columbia, SC
    I have a chance to get a real deal on a SansAmp RBI...my question is can I go right into a cab from that or do I need a power amp to drive the speakers. I don't play out so I dont need the mega wattage. I was just wondering if it would work and whether it is worth it. I am currently using a Fender BXR 100 and I would like to upgrade. I like the modeling capabilities with the RBI, but I was interested in getting some sage advice before I go down this road. Seems better to ask before one puts out the bucks! Thanks for the help.

2. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    You would need an amp.

3. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    You can plug the RBI into your Fender BXR and use it the same way you would use a SansAmp BBDI, but you can't just plug it directly into a cabinet.

- Frank.

4. BillSC

BillSC Guest

May 30, 2002
    Columbia, SC
    Thanks for the help, I appreciate it. Just trying figure out all this...I am a guitar player turned bass player. I have always used combos and never ventured beyond that. Even with guitars, I was never quite sure of the relationship of the head...vs power amp vs. cab. But I guess what I am seeing here is that the SansAmp RBI is far from being a head. I guess it is just an effects unit. In that vein...back to the power amp issue, if one has a bass head, can you go right to a cab or do you need a power amp? I am not planning to do this...just trying to learn. Sorry for being lame. I do appreciate the help and patience.

5. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    A full bass head has a power amp built in, just like a guitar head. So yes with a bass head you can run right into a cabinet. The RBI can be used as an effects unit, but it can also be used as a preamp, that is you can run it through a power amp into a cab.

6. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    a bass or guitar "Amp" or "Head" consists of (at minimum) two parts... A "Pre-Amp" and a "Power-Amp". The preamp raises the weak signal coming from the guitar or bass, and shapes (i.e. colors) the sound (using the gain control, bass, mid, treble, etc...). it then sends the signal to the poweramp section which raises the signal significantly more, enough to send sound to a speaker. Some players choose a separate preamp and poweramp so they can mix and match as needed, or to get a lot more watts (for example the QSC PLX3402 poweramp can put out up to 3,400 watts).

Hope that clears things up a bit.

- Frank.

7. BillSC

BillSC Guest

May 30, 2002
    Columbia, SC
    Thanks, guys...the info helps a lot!

8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Hey, if you decide not to get the RBI, will ya send the seller's email address my way? :)

9. BillSC

BillSC Guest

May 30, 2002
    Columbia, SC
    Sorry, Fuzz...I already snapped it up. I am going to use it with my Fender BXR.:)