1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sansamp RBI rackmount bass driver/pre amp

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by chips, Mar 27, 2006.

1. Gday guys,

Well im just about happy with my setup and effects and such. Im running a GK400RB into a warwick 410Pro. Now the tone im getting is pretty awsome, very growly, but its a little bit sterile, as can be with the clean-ness of GKs. Ive been trying a bass Exciter, but the bypass is just s**thouse. I mean, really bad. Sucks tone like a mofo, and is noisy.

So im looking for something to run all the time, but what i want to know is whether it will take over my tone or not? Or is this what im looking for? I also like the idea of having the od/distortions aswell. I have plenty, but it would be cool to add some grit into my tone on certain songs.

So, whats your opinion, and other suggestions on something that would do the job?

Peace
    Blake

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    RBI is a great unit. I bet you'd like it.

3. BadB

BadB

May 25, 2005
    AZ, USA
    Chips, I've used the RBI as a stand-alone pre, and thru an effects loop. These days I pretty much use it for recording only. It is a great pre IMO. If you're happy with your head, I would suggest the Programmable BDDI. You can put it in you're signal chain and use it or not. The differing tones helps out, too.

4. +1 to the BDDI Prog, but it isn't a "True Bypass" Pedal, though the bypass is very transparent. Just so you know.
    I use the BDDI Prog in my effects loop, and kick some tube grind or fuzz in when it's needed. The RBI is exactly the same, just rack-mountable and not programmable. Depends on your needs, but I'd recommend either to you, for sure!

5. thanks guys. Programabilty (sp?) isnt a big thing. Rack would be good too, then its not on the floor where my foot can slip and hit it.

I have my basses pretty covered with my distortions and fuzzes at the moment. But if i ever decide i want an overdriven Ampeg sound, it would be handy. But it will be something i run all the time. I pretty much want to find a nice setting to complliment my tone and leave it. Plus i can see it being useful live/recording with the DI.

Peace

6. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I have both the RBI and BDDI. Both are good. If I were only allowed one it would be the BDDI.

7. I know it gets a good wrap primarily for its SVT-style OD, but the bddi's clean sound is really amazing. The bddi can fatten distortion like crazy too. If the RBI is basically a bddi in a rack unit, I say go for it.

8. Just awaiting some funds and i will be purchasing one :)