1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sansamp RBI/RPM deathmatch.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by stugotz, Mar 12, 2013.

1. stugotz

stugotz Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2012
    Merritt Island
    Well I just got a new RPM and found a used RBI on Cl cheap. So now I plan on a/b'n them to see exactly what Im workin with. Ill be drivin an MB800 and two Hydrive 4/10 cabs. A Geddy Lee Jazz with Dimarzio Area J's. Just ordered a rack and ears for the GK and a set of Fender Vintage J bass pups. So expect soundclips! Hopefully the gurus here will help me figure all this out....

2. stugotz

Oct 3, 2012
    Merritt Island
    OK folks, two gigs under my belt with the RBI and Im really not lovin it. Heres the setup, Jazz bass into the RBI into the return of my MB800 into two Hydrive 4/10's. Seems like its just too "sterile" for lack of a better term. Either too bassy or two glassy. Im having trouble finding a good middle ground. Granted I really didnt have time to tweak it as much as I would like to. Well tonite Im hooking up the RPM and Ill report back. A full time job and late night gigs has hampered the soundbyte portion of this thread, for now...

3. BrentSimons

BrentSimons Supporting Member

Mar 4, 2004
    Vergennes,VT USA
    Hi There,
    Try turning the blend down a bit. If you run it full up you will get a large cut in your mids. Hope this helps,
    Brent

4. mystic38

mystic38

Dec 4, 2012
    Mystic CT
    do you have any spectral analysis software?.. many times controls at noon isnt a flat response and it takes a while to figure things out...

5. stugotz

Oct 3, 2012
    Merritt Island
    Ill try that. Also I notice a huge drop in power. The mb800 isnt as loud as it was. I have to keep the gk master almost cranked and the rbi level around 3 o clock.

6. stugotz

Oct 3, 2012
    Merritt Island
    Ok messin with the rpm. I just cant seem to dial it in. Personally I think my MB800 sounds better alone. Oh well. I can return the rpm but the rbi is goin on the block. Pm me if interested...

7. JonnyAngle

JonnyAngle Dropping Acid Pedal Etching .com Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Maple Grove, MN
    DroppingAcidPedalEtching.com
    One thing to try: dial in a flat setting on the GK pre amp and then put the sansamp in front. You might just be missing the sound of the GK voicing

And when I say flat, I don't mean knobs at noon

8. stugotz

Oct 3, 2012
    Merritt Island
    Ok Ill try it. I def am missing that nice round sound...

9. I tried both and went with the RBI. Mainly because I just like the simpler mid control but both are great. For those who think it sounds sterile try turning down the blend knob some. I run mine around noon(half way). I see a lot of guys using them with the blend knob all the way up and in those cases it sounds really sterile to me. The eq is very drastic so I keep everything in the 11 o'clock to 1oclock range except the gain which is around 10 o'clock and the xlr and output level. When dialed in you should be able to go from rock/metal tone with some grit to a clean slap tone just by adjusting the blend knob.

10. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Sounds like my RPM set-up. I keep the blend around 1-2:00 and Drive around 10:00. The mid freq is a crapshoot: attenuate by 3-5 dB and do a sweep to find the sweetspot.

Riis

11. stugotz

Oct 3, 2012
    Merritt Island
    Well i find that the MB800 does all i need. Rbi for sale!

12. stugotz

Oct 3, 2012
    Merritt Island
  13. SpottedBass

SpottedBass

Mar 12, 2012
    What settings are you using on the GK head? All at 0 or noon? I've found I can get pretty close to Geddy's tone as here-> with a Sansamp programmable BDDI into my GK 700RBII effect return and an even closer match by going into the GK preamp with all controls at noon except the following set at zero: Countour, Presenece and Boost. Note: if you go into the effect return, you need to engage the 1/4" out Boost so it has enough juice to drive the power amp. It has the round driven sound, but lacks some of the punch you get by using the 700RB-II in 'native' mode. I was thinking of picking up the RBI or RPM so could have more control over mids, but not sure its going to be enough of a change to justify the cost (the RBI is essentially the BDDI with a mid control). On the BDDI, my settings for this tone are Drive 11am, Bass 1:30pm, Treble 1:30pm, Presece 2pm, blend 3pm, level 11AM. The GK head is driving a Trace Elliot 2108 cab or an Acme Low B-1 for lower volumes

14. stugotz

Oct 3, 2012
    Merritt Island
    Thanks for the info bro! I keep everything pretty much like you said except my countour maxxed. Sounds better the more I play with it...

15. stugotz

Oct 3, 2012
    Merritt Island
    Ok. Just put the Area J's back in and Im blown away! The 60's custom shop pickups just werent workin for me. Guess I should stick to changin one thing at a time. But that would blow my hittin a bullseye with a shotgun theory...

16. stugotz

Oct 3, 2012
    Merritt Island
    Well I guess the RBI won! I decided to keep it. I run it into my GK MB800 with tone at noon, contour maxxed. I retain my GK voicing with the RBI grit. Probably overkill but the rack looks cool. Lol!
    upude3a7.

17. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    Oddly enough I loved the Bass Driver and the VT Bass through my old cheap Ashdown Magg. Dont like them through my 1001RB