Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sansamp RBI settings

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by joetiii, Jan 8, 2005.

1. joetiii

joetiii

Oct 27, 2002
    I read recently that the RBI loses its lowend at lower volume levels. Now I've only played my RBI at band practice and use a combo for home practice, so I've never experienced this, but that comment got me thinking.

Maybe its the level setting that would cause this?

lets try turning the poweramp down and turn the level on the RBI up? what happens?

If no power amp volume, then how about cranking the RBI with your bass volume at a lower level. Hear any difference?

My past experience has been to try and match the volume level when the RBI is active, with the RBI active switch disengaged. To me, that setting would be 0 gain correct?

Are any other of you RBI users tinkering with the level in any other ways ?

2. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    Yes, that would be 0 gain, but aside from tone shaping, it would defeat the purpose of a preamp. If my post at the Dude Pit is where you read the RBI lacks bass at low volume, then maybe I wasn't clear...

It can sound like it lacks bass at low volume, but if you turn it up, it's fine. This is a function of the Fletcher-Munson effect in combination with where the RBI's Bass control is centered, not a problem with the RBI.

I meant it more as a warning that you shouldn't set your tones at bedroom levels and then take it onstage at those settings.

3. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    I have had my RBI for a very short time and I can tell you from my experience....it never sounds like it is lacking bass.

I only use it on stage so I have no idea what it sounds like at lower volumes but good Lord this baby has a big bottom.

4. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

I haven't had problems with the bottom dropping out at low levels, just overall audibility. And I think that has more to do with my cabs, how close I have to stand to them and the really low levels we've done a couple of gigs at. At normal bar gig levels I have no problems hearing myself. I'm thinking I probably needed to add some mids on the really low level gigs (and go out in the crowd with my wireless to make sure the people directing me to drop that low are really hearing me and not the E strings on the guitars).

I do follow Bob Lee's advice and crank up my preamp (whichever one I'm using at the time) and use the power amp attenuator to control the overall volume. I think that maximizes the signal-to-noise ratio. I also try to turn up a little louder than I need and play more gently.

5. joetiii

joetiii

Oct 27, 2002
    Well during the ice storm we had here in the east yesterday, I spent some time woodshedding with my setup. I turned the Blend completely off to see if there was any noticeable difference in the tone if I set the level low or set it high. No difference except for the loss of perceiveable Bass at lower volume. My guess it's the same reason they put loudness contours on home stereo.

One observation that I did make was that when blending in the sansamp, the mids became scooped quite a bit. When I first auditioned the RBI, I put it next to an SVT IIP preamp and A/B'd them. I dialed in the RBI to sound as close to the SVT as possible. I wrote down the settings and sold the SVT so I don't remember the SVT having that much of a mid scoop.

I played my 81 G&L L2k which made the bass really heavy in Series mode so I ran the blend at 50%, bump the mids to 2 and turn back the presence to 9 or so to get a good sound. In single coil, the presence needs to be cut more and I can run more blend. I typically don't run at 100% blend which now I'm beginning to understand why. Missing mids.

Any of you have settings you use to run more tube emulation without encountering the scoop?

I also moved my sonic maximizer from the effects loop to the ouput of the RBI into the poweramp input. Didn't hear much difference but there was alot going on and I'll need to tinker with that once I dial in the RBI better. This way, I pickup the ability to see the output level going to the 482's LEDs. I'm not sure exactly how this works, but I think I can get a better sense of the RBI's threshold when the last LED flickers. That seems to be the 1 oclock position with drive at 10 or so.

I'm really conscious of a clean output signal because the new addition to my rack is a Soundtech 802 bridged mono at 800 watts into a single Aggie 112. Read lots of headroom with clean signal.

That aggie just got me thinking that I should turn off the tweeter completely and see how that affests presence? hmmmm.

Anyway Craig..... I'm not planning on any more testing until the Rumblefish arrives later this week.