Sansamp RBI Vs. BMax-T

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Whafrodamus, Jan 27, 2006.

1. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    My rig consists of a Sansamp RBI, Compressor, and a power amp. I've always dug the RBI, but it's sounding a little too harsh for my ears. I've owned it for two years. I can't say I've mastered it, but I know how to get all the tones I want. Now, I know it's a tube simulator. Will an change to a BMax-T which is actually a tube preamp be a good change? I'm not going to go out and buy one just to try it out. I was just hoping to do a little upgrading with my tax return money. How do those preamps compare? I know that they both have similar features. 3 band EQ, Master volume. The differences that I've seen are the mid freq/gain, the gain, and the other things Vs. The Presence, Drive, and Balance.
  2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Harsh in what way? Just curious. I do realize that the SansAmp tube emulation has a particular tone to it (mid scoop).

You've had the RBI for 2 years so you've probably done all this, but: to reduce harshness, I keep the Presence fully counterclockwise (it's boost-only), reduce Blend to 30% or 40%, keep Drive fully counterclockwise, and if necessary I reduce Treble.

I have no experience with the BMAX-T.
  3. C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    I have both the RBI, and the BMAX T.

Both sounds great in their own way. If you're looking for a bigger, rounder tone, then try out the Bmax. One thing I've noticed, is that the RBI is faster in response, and the Bmax slower. For me, that translates into more effort when playing quick passages. Sometimes it may feel like it's pulling you back. But the trade off is worth it. For rich, tube, fullness, I really love playing through the Bmax. Plus you have the Sonic Maximizer built in, and their opto-compressor sounds great.
  4. momo

Oct 22, 2005
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I dig the RBI with the blend all the way off, but that is just me. I too turn the presence almost all the way off and the blend is never past 10:30 or so. I noticed that when I push the mid control up to around 2:30 or 3:00 it really starts to sing and sound wonderfully punchy. It is a good thing that the mid control counteracts the scoop that the circut creates.

I mention this because the RBI is the winner for me in a long line of preamps, including a tube svp-pro. I haven't had enough experience with the b-max to know, but I learned the hard way that tube does not always equal better tone.
  5. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas

Anyone else tried both of these?
  6. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Anyone else? Any other tube preamps to recommend?