Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sansamp RBI vs. PSA-1 vs. SWR IOD???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jokerjkny, May 28, 2002.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    FIGHT!

hehe, but seriously, which one? my studio needs a dirty pre for the lo-fi-dub-indie-brit boys coming in next week, and i've been assigned to do the preamp searching. i know lots are IOD lubbers, but how's the Sansamps stack up?

2. The main differences between the RBI and the PSA-1 is that the RBI is designed as a bass preamp and it is not midi-programmable. I have the PSA-1. It totally rocks on guitar. At one of the recent band rehersals, we plugged every guitar that was laying around into the thing and it made everything sound good. Of course, you gotta understand, there are 98 settings in the thing (half are factory presets) and their isn't much chance that you can't find SOMETHING you like in there. 10 Marshals, 10 Fenders, MESA Boogies, etc...

However, as a bass pre, I have found it somewhat lacking. Only 10 of the factory presets are for bass (although you can add as many custom ones as you like in the user patches). You can get some good bass sounds out of it if you want to invest a lot of time figuring out the somewhat obscure controls and experimenting with it, but it definitely burns up a lot of time getting hot bass sounds. I am actually thinking about trading it in on the RBI simply because of the more user-friendly nature of the RBI. The tone controls include a midrange (you accomplish this on the PSA-1 by cutting the [active] bass and treble and boosting the master volume). The RBI includes a "blend" knob that lets you dial in the amount of simulated tube distortion.

Summary: The RBI is an all around a better unit if you want to use it exclusively on bass. If you need a combination guitar/bass pre, the PSA-1 is the way to go.

p.s. Looks like I'll be using the PSA-1 a lot more soon due to problems with my Ampeg SVT-III (see related threads).

Brad

3. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    Can anybody give a good comparison of the IOD and RBI?