1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sansamp RBI Vs. VT Bass Driver Deluxe

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cableguy, Oct 21, 2010.

1. cableguy

cableguy Supporting Member

Jun 4, 2009
    North Bend, WA
    First off I love my Tech 21 stuff. I currently use a Sansamp RBI> Carvin DCM 600> SWR Goliathh II 410 in mainly a rock or blues setting. I also use a sansamp Bass DI > Carvin BR15 for worship. I'm thinking of switching out the RBI/DCM for a VT Duluxe and a micro head like the Carvin BX500 or maybe SWR's small power amp lite or what ever it's called. It seem I should lose about 25-30 pounds including the rack and have a similar sound with the ability to have 3 presets for my (2) basses. Any TBers have both of these set-ups? I'm thinking about (2) 2X10 cabs in the future as well for a more modular set-up. Thoughts? Advice?

Thanks,

2. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    So where's JimmyM when you need 'em? He has experience with these things plus the original SVT's and B-15's to compare 'em to.

3. JimmyM..........Where are you???

Can Jimmy come out to play?? :hyper::hyper:

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    finally i can play! long long day today!

i do a similar thing with my vt deluxe. i run it into the effect return of a crate power block for gigs where i just can't bring my svt or b-15. it's really sweet, but i have it all tweaked out to the sounds and volumes i like and i really don't want to futz with the volumes again, so i'd recommend putting some sort of pre or eq pedal in back of it if you plan on using a power amp and not a head. the vtd is fine to adjust volume on the fly if you only use one preset, but use two or more and it can be a big hassle. i use a regular vt for that just because i have one, but any pedal with an adjustable volume will do.

5. cableguy

cableguy Supporting Member

Jun 4, 2009
    North Bend, WA
    Thanks Jimmy,

I'm leaning toward the VT deluxe>Carvin micro head because the I think the graphic EQ is after the effects return. Should work great for small gigs & practice.

6. Jimmy, for the VT Deluxe, do you patch the EQ or boost pedal into the VT's loop, or use them between the VT and the power amp?

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    between the vt and power amp. never in a loop. loops never work out for me.

8. Growly Lytes

Growly Lytes

Dec 4, 2009
    Downunder Oz
    Bass player
    Sansamp + Poweramp = Greatness
    I use the RPM/RBI combo into a 3400watt poweramp with 2 quads.

9. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

I got the VT Deluxe a few months ago. It's cool with the Fender 1x10" combo I use for home rehearsal, but with my gig rig I still prefer my RBI, which has been my #1 gig preamp for years now. To be fair, I've only used the VT at a couple of rehearsals... I should probably spend more time with it, to familiarize myself with it, give my ears time to adjust, or whatever.

10. Growly Lytes

Growly Lytes

Dec 4, 2009
    Downunder Oz
    Bass player
    VT or not VT ,
    That Is The Question

11. The VT works great into a poweramp, gives good volume and a wide variety of tones. the only thing missing for a live gig is a DI

12. Growly Lytes

Growly Lytes

Dec 4, 2009
    Downunder Oz
    Bass player
    Well thats where the RPM & RBI are on top of the`
    VT or not VT !!

13. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    I use an RBI and a 1000 watt Carvin. I bypass the preamp on the Carvin. Could you explain to me what advantage there is to running an RPM in conjunction with the RBI.

Thanks.

14. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

I run the RBI and RPM in parallel. The advantage for me is that I get the Presence control on the RBI, plus the sweep mid on the RPM.

Also, the overdrive characteristics are different on each preamp. The RBI OD is more subtle, whereas the RPM can get downright fuzzy. FWIW, I keep the RPM rather fuzzy, but because it's lower in the mix than the RBI, the fuzz isn't overwhelming.

I would never say you gotta gotta run both together. It's just useful to me to have more tonal options.

15. Growly Lytes

Growly Lytes

Dec 4, 2009
    Downunder Oz
    Bass player
    Just what Fuzzball oops i mean Fuzzbass said,
    I plug them in parallel together.
    The vloume on the RBI is used to blend in the RBI into the RPM, then the RPM`s volume control acts as the overall level of the two then you can adjust you amp after that.
    But as Fuzz said the Para & the Presence, i first dial a big fat juicy sound via the Para on RPM then i use the Presence on the RBI to clean that up.After i have pretty much the sound i can blend in some nice overdrive.I cant explain it but it sounds ten times better using both then just the one.You dont have to use both but for me its great.
    The tonal ops are just endless.