1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SansAmp RBI with my Ampeg B2RE - What is the best hookup option?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Baird6869, Aug 6, 2007.

1. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I just picked up a SansAmp RBI and absolutely love the tonal capabilities it offers.

My question for any of you that can help is....

Is it better to run the RBI into the Effects Return on my B2RE or into the Power Amp In? I know the RBI is more of a pre than a power amp, but I have heard that many people are hooking the RBI up this way.

My limited experience is that going through the Power Amp In causes hum and more distortion (especially with active basses) but going through the Effects Return may be much quieter (no hum but much less power) but sounds better.

I ran a Bass PODxt through my Effects Return for a long time and never had any problems and will likely continue doing this with the RBI, but I wanted to ensure what I am doing makes sense.

Maybe I should just buy me a few chicken roasters or clothes dryers in place of cabinets and DI to FOH "sans amps":confused: :D

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The "effects return" jack is usually the same as the "power amp in" jack on most amps, which is why you'll see that hookup recommended here often. Sounds like, from what you're saying, the fx loop of that amp runs at instrument level to accommodate putting pedals in the loop; which means you really do need to use the "power amp in" jack, as it expects a line-level signal like what the RBI puts out.

3. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Thanks!

Any idea why I am getting so much hum wien going through the power amp in?

Cheap cables maybe?

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    A few possibilities, partly depending on whether the hum you're hearing is like a pure 60-cycle "bad ground" hum, or more general noise coming from from your pickups etc.:

1) Cheap cables. ;)
    2) the power amp in jack might have a loose connection.
    3) the output jack of the RBI, or the power amp input jack of the amp, might be balanced-only jacks (TRS) and you're using an unbalanced (TS) cable?