Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SansAmp RBI

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Spanky, Aug 17, 2004.

1. Who among you uses one of these? Ive heard great things about them, not to mention the Geddy Lee endorsements...would you recommend using one of these ahead of my Ampeg SVT5 Pro head? Would it make that much difference in my tone?

Thanks!

2. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    The RBI is really a full blown pre-amp, not merely an effects module... You'll find lots of good info about it, in the AMPS forum.

3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    ditto, but to answer your question, yes, it would rock. I have an RBI, it kicks butt. With the great flexibility of the RBI and the ability to blend, you could get a lot of great tones out of it.

4. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    The SARBI is my main and only preamp, it goes directly into a power amp then to my cab. Amazing tone.

5. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Same here, I use it as my main preamp.
    It goes into active cabs.

6. The RBI is a very punchy preamp, which I enjoy very much. When I play through it I don't need to use the Sansamp Bass Driver anymore. :D

7. Thank you for pointing out my ignorance. :eyebrow:

So CAN it be run as a pre for my SVT5-Pro head? Im kinda new to these types of setups.

8. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Wow, now that, my friends, will be a potential for massively crunchy/overdriven/distortion bass!

If the SVT 5 Pro is anything like my old B5R, which I hear it is except way better, it already has inherent ability to get down and way dirty.

The Sansamp RBI, I hear, can do this exceptionally well too.

Together? Wow, I would really have to hear that.

But I'm sure it can be set to play very, very well with one another. That's going to be one versatile and rockin' setup! Grind, if I understand both of these pieces of gear correctly, will be an understatement. Can someone verify this?

Hmm, now you guys are making me want a SARBI. Noooo! :eek: Okay, I give up. :D :ninja: .

-T

9. Maurice Carr

Maurice Carr

Aug 7, 2004
    Mt Wellington, Auckland, NZ
    Authorised BFM and fEARful cab builder: New Zealand
    Darn! - I just bought a Sansamp Bass Driver 9 mths ago and thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread - now I discover there's an even better model which suddenly beckons me!
    I play regularly in a large church band plus a 3pce Rock/Blues band plus the odd CDs so am I right in assuming that it would be worth upgrading? In other words is the RB1 clearly steps ahead of the Bass Driver and what in your opinion makes it stand out? Or is it just a marginal upgrade? :help:
    No-one in our country stocks them so no way of trying one out - I have to go by recommendations and research.
    Thanks if you can offer any comments - Maurice

10. The RBI in my understanding is esentially the BDDI only it has mid control, it's a rack unit and has sufficiently more output to drive a power amp all by itself! I think sansamp say that the BDDI is the insparation for the RBI

11. Maurice Carr

Maurice Carr

Aug 7, 2004
    Mt Wellington, Auckland, NZ
    Authorised BFM and fEARful cab builder: New Zealand
    Matt DutyFree - thanks for that - good summary!
    Maurice

12. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    In my opinion, if you like the SABDDI, it is well worth it to buy the RBI. Of course, it requires a rack, but the flexibility is amazing. I usually run a line out to a PA, and use the effects loop for a compressor and EQ. The RBI has an XLR output knob, so I have some control over the PA output. The effects loop can be set up 50/50.... The RBI gives you a ton of wiring options.

I thought I liked the SABDDI for the grind, but I ended up using the RBI flat, or with just subtle grind blended in. I have about 150 gigs under my belt with the RBI, and I really have no complaints at all.

13. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    :hyper: I have been using one for about 4 months now. I really like it going into a QSC 850 bridged then into an Acme Low B2.

I ran a Peavey TNT for years and it held up for years (about 20 to be exact). But the flexibility with teh Sansamp is endless. I usually run a line out to the PA so all I'm really controlling volume-wise is my stage volume. It gets all kinds of sounds with my active MM Sabre.

14. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    i have a aphex bass xciter aswell as an eden wt-600 amplifier

would it be pointless to get an sansamp rbi??

there is a used one for sale at a store near my place