Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sansamp RBI

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bobby King, Nov 10, 2005.

1. Bobby King

Bobby King Supporting Member

May 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Hi! Has anyone used a Sansamp RBI rackmount unit as a stand alone preamp? That is for live applications where you use it in conjunction with a power amp as a rack setup?
    I've tried using the pedal DI going diirect into a power amp and it doesn't have very high output. Any advice?

Thanks!

2. The newer BDDI pedals have a switch that means they go at line level (ie for driving power amps)

There is a fairly simple mod that can be done to the older ones without the switches tho, i think it just involved the removal of a single resistor

3. Bobby King

Bobby King Supporting Member

May 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Thanks, Mr. Mohawk. Does the RBI rackmount go at line level?

4. I have an RBI going into a Yamaha power amp. It's plenty loud. :) Going into a 115 and a 210, with the RBI at about 4, maybe 4.5, it made the china cabinet rattle precariously, and I actually felt a little nauseous. :p

5. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    RBI is line level. pedals are usually lower because they are usually hooked into a preamp of a combo or head.

6. westland

westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong
    SABDDIs are line level output. I just bought the SABDDI Programmable (the one with three foot switches) and I have it hooked into the post-EQ loop, so the output is direct into the power section of my Thunderfunk 550. No problems. My only complaint is that the TFB550 is so quiet that I notice the noise of the SABDDI (this only shows for the Drive and Presence controls when they are turned up ... the bass, treble, level don't exhibit noise). I tried all combinations, and post-EQ is best (this is also what is recommended in the SABDDI instructions).

I have heard that the RBIs have a higher noise level, so I think this would bother me. As it is, I really love the 'phat tube' setting of the SABDDI, and if there is any time I don't care for the slight noise of the box, I can just tap the footswitch and it's completely out of the loop. Everything is high quality on the box. I love it.

7. The RBI has both outputs too, the front output, i think, is -20dB, whereas the back is line level i think

Westland, i thought the programmable would be switchable between line and instrument too ?

8. playmybass

playmybass

Mar 28, 2004
    Tucson, Az
    Hmm. My RBI doesn have outputs on the front. It has two inputs though, one on the front and back.

9. westland

westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong
    Ah yes ... there is a 1/4" output boost button ... this must be the -20dB to 0dB switch you are talking about ... it is one of three minuscule buttons below the knobs

10. maybe i got it wrong, i thought there was, im sure theres been talk on here of people messing it up and such, not getting high enough levels because of that oh well, my mistake

11. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    My RBI has a button to push that makes it -20 db or 0 db. I've used both a SABDDI and RBI as a preamp for my RMX850 and IMO the SABDDI has the hotter output than the RBI. The folks at Tech21 insist they have the same output but I think they are wrong or either something is not quite right with my RBI.

12. Ah right, its a button, i thought it was a different socket for some reason, again, sorry for the misinformation guys

13. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    i think there is also a difference, like mentioned earlier, between the input on the front and the one on the back.

14. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA

I've done it, still get confused when I accidentally push the button... it happened more often when I used the RBI in my bass 350's effects loop as an "effect". I'm talking about the "input 2" I've not uesed the "sansamp xlr" output ...I use the 1/4" outs. Cheap "new" price here...

[​IMG]