Sansamp RBI?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by vivaknoxvegas, May 29, 2003.

1. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    Do any of you use this in your live rig or is it mainly a studio tool? If you use it live, how do you run it and with what amp or head?

I used the smaller DI in the studio recently and it really gave me some cool tone.
  2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Just do a search of "sansamp RBI" on this forum. You'll find plenty of previous discussion on this very topic. Lots of people use them live and love them.
  3. i know you don't like geddy too terribly much (from your posts on your GL bass).

however, first the signature bass, and now the preamp he used to record vapor trails? that is some love. actually, that's a setup i'd be very happy to own.

4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I use mine as a preamp into a Carvin poweramp, and love the tone.

That said, I'm actively looking for a new small, lightweight integrated head in deference to my aging, aching back and knees. I'll probably still keep the RBI, since I like the tone so much. I just wish the Landmark 600 wasn't so freakin' big and heavy.
  5. vivaknoxvegas

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    I can't tell which way you're going with this joke or if your even joking.

I do think Geddy rocks. I didn't know he used the Sansamp on Vapor Trails. Cool.
  6. vivaknoxvegas

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    I play an SVT-CL head and I really like it. I just thought the sound it gave me in the studio (and possibly others) could be transfered live. Is it a good idea to use the Sansamp that way? Do people do that? Can the SVT preamp be bi-passed or should it just be ran with the SVT as is?
  7. it's definitely conceivable to run an RBI as a front-end to your SVT-CL using the power amp in jack on the rear panel. and you'd get a very tubey sound, no doubt. however, once you're carrying that huge tube amp everywhere, i'm sure you'll get funny looks from bass player wondering why you're bypassing a tube EQ for the solid state tube emulator.

it would be an interesting tone experiment. are you talking about recording using only the RBI in the studio? i would imagine it's a pretty common rig to use an RBI and a power amp (the usual suspects -- QSC, stewart, crown if you're me) live and then run into the studio with just the RBI as a DI. of course you could also use the RBI for double duty as a DI and as the front-end to your rig.

which is your plan? as always, i think the only way to evaluate it is to try it out. i think a tube emulator as the front end of an all solid state rig does not replace a tube power section (perhaps a transformer output on a solid-state amplifier might help...). if you must have tubes, then tubes you must have.

and as to my previous comments, i was joking, but i guess my memory had you confused with someone else -- i thought you had said you love the bass but weren't too keen on geddy lee himself. there was a lot less irony in there than i thought.