1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sansamp RPM as a stand alone preamp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Malachi71, Sep 19, 2008.

1. Malachi71

Malachi71

Oct 11, 2007
    Does anyone use the RPM as their sole preamp running through a power amp? Does it function well on its own or does it work better as part of a chain?

2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

I used mine as a standalone just after I got it. I thought it sounded great for phat chunky tones, but I only used it solo for a few gigs before I combined it with the RBI (I like the aggressive treble of the RBI).

There are some folks here who prefer the RPM to the RBI. Here's a bump so they can comment too.

3. Hizzoner

Hizzoner

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago area
    am using a setup similar to this now..
    RBI (rackmount)-QSC PLX 1602

Sounds good so far, though I do not have a proper cab to power this setup fully. I am interested in obtaining the proper cab and adding a rpm to the rbi down the road....IF I don't get into another bass head by then..GAS list is growing...

Mark

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    FWIW it is designed to be operated on its own (feeding a power amp or mixer). Yes it is also designed to be able to work with the RBI, and can be part of a chain of whatever processors, but that's just optional.

5. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    Yup, I do, an it's my favorite, so much so that I have two of them - one that I run with a DB728 tube power amp and the other with a Power 750. I have a lot of gear, but this piece of relatively inexpensive equipment just does it for me. It's a flexible piece of gear, both tonally and in terms of all the connectivity options. As Fuzz mentioned, you can get some really killer tones running it in parallel with an RBI, though it also sounds great by itself. It really excels at warm and thick, as well as grindy tones. Highly recommended.

JR

6. I am really considering getting the RPM to run with my RBI and then into a power amp. Holding me back is that I use a GK 2001 with 4 cabs and my limited research has not found a power amp capable of running 4 cabs.

7. JGR

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    Grab a CA9 and you will destroy cities.

8. Thanks! That's what I am aiming for! :D

9. Malachi71

Malachi71

Oct 11, 2007
    Currently I'm using a Yamaha PB1 preamp into a Carvin DCM1000 power amp. The PB1 is very clean and warm. I like it but I would prefer to have some other tonal options such as added bite (SVT-like) to my sound. Could I run the two preamps together? If so, how should I hook them up? If running them together would not be a good tonal option, then I would try the RPM by itself but I do like the PB1.

10. JGR

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    Yup, it you get an RPM, you run run with in parallel with the RPM. I've posted in other threads about doing this with the RPM + RBI, but you can do it with the RPM + your preamp as well.

JR

11. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    I'm in the same boat as Fuzzbass - had my RPM as my lone preamp straight into my poweramp for about a month or so & started seeing others on TB (like JR, Fuzzbass, etc.) start to combine the RPM with the RBI. I spent $30.00 on a Behringer BDI21 to cop a close imitation to see if that's the direction I wanted to go, and ended up loving the tone. Seems I did miss the Presence knob of the BDDI/RBI after all, so I bought an RBI and have had them paired for about 3-4 months now. If I had to go back to strictly one of the two (and nothing else) it would hands down be the RPM, but combined is really where it's at. I guess what I'm trying to say is yes it sounds great by itself, and yes it sounds stunning when paired with the RBI (and apparently with another RPM in JR's case)...

12. Malachi71

Malachi71

Oct 11, 2007
    Can you or someone else post some sounds of the RPM and RBI individually and some sounds paired together?

13. stingray69

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    Unfortunately, I don't have any of the RBI by itself, it immediately went into a blend with my RPM the day I got it. Here are a few light OD samples of me goofing around with a blend of the 2 - never thought I'd be posting them though - lol. Anyway please keep in mind that through a real bass cabinet in a real-world environment it sounds so much more powerful & 10x better. I think a lot gets lost in translation to computer (I'm no recording engineer, nor do I have any recording gear short of a POS soundcard).

Here are a couple of the RBI/RPM combined with light OD settings:

http://media.putfile.com/SansAmp-RBI--RPM-Combined

http://media.putfile.com/SansAmp-RBI--RPM-Combined---Never-Been-Any-Reason-40

One of the RPM by itself with heavy OD: http://media.putfile.com/RPM---Leave-That-Thing-Alone

I posted several more RPM clips (by itself) throughout this thread: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=386299&highlight=sansamp+rpm

Hope these help...

14. stingray69

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
  15. JGR

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    well done, your clips sounds great!

16. stingray69

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    Thank you very much! I also wanted to say thanks for sharing with all of us here on TB your incredibly clever way of combining the SansAmp RBI & RPM together. I've never been happier with my recorded or (especially) live tone - the blend rocks!

17. JGR

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    You're very welcome - I'm glad other folks can enjoy the setup too. My talent lies in being able to tweak various gear combinations to sound great (pretty good at building/modding amps too), but not so much with playing unfortunately... :meh: it's almost secondary because I spend all my time screwing around with the equipment!

18. Malachi71

Malachi71

Oct 11, 2007
    I should be receiving my RPM tomorrow. Can you owners give some tips for setting up the sound or favorite settings from clean to overdrive?

19. JGR

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    Sure, what kind of bass/cabs are you playing through?

FWIW, I use passive J's and P-J's through Bag End S15-D's, Berg NV610/215, and SWR 2x12's and 4x12's - none of my cabs have tweeters.

For cleanish grindy tones, I usually have gain from 9-11 o'clock, Bass around 1, Mid around 1-3 with sweep set to 1.5kHz, treble 12 (flat) to 1, blend from 12 (50%) to 3.

Same thing for overdrive (gain between 12-2) though bass may be flat (12) and play with the blend knob to taste.

JR

20. Malachi71

Malachi71

Oct 11, 2007
    Thanks for the settings.

My cabs are an Avatar SB112 Neo and a B210 Neo. Both cabs have tweeters but I have them turned on very little. For power, I use a Carvin DCM1000. My basses are a Yamaha BBG4SII with active soapbar pickups and a Squire VM fretless.