1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

sansamp rpm output volume problem

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jcroxford, May 6, 2017.

1. jcroxford

jcroxford

Jan 7, 2017
    Sacramento CA
    I recently bought a sansamp rpm (used) to add to my rack with an existing rbi. When I first tried it out at home on my sons cabinet, it seemed to work, but when I put it in my rack with the rbi, i noticed that the output level is about 1/2 of what the rbi puts out, with them both set nearly identicaly (blend at %100). I have tried running them completely seperate, without putting them together and still the same issue.

One thing I did notice, and this could be by design, but I thought odd..... I pulled off the cover to inspect it and noticed, the red wire coming out of the transformer is not hooked to anything. coincedence or not, there is also 1 peg coming off of the power cord input with nothing hooked to it. the red wire is all zip tied snug with the other wires so its not just hanging all loose.

Any ideas, suggestions? I almost want to connect the red wire to the power, but don't want to risk blowing the thing up...

2. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

For informed responses, post an image.

3. If it ain't broke...

4. Reverend179

Reverend179

Jan 20, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    If you don't know for sure what that wire does, don't touch it. Seriously. Send it in to Sansamp and have them look it over.

5. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Bring Back Edit/Delete

Nov 30, 2011
    Bay Area, CA
    Aside from checking the input pad button, I would contact Tech21.

6. jcroxford

jcroxford

Jan 7, 2017
    Sacramento CA
    Well it's not the wire. I opened up the RBI, and it has the same red wire not connected to any thing. I will most likely send it to tech21

Last edited: May 11, 2017
  7. JackTheRipper

JackTheRipper Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    If you're using the XML output, check the position of the XML Output Level Switch on the back. When the switch is disengaged, there is a -20dB pad to the output. The switch is next to the SansAmp XML output. I've had mine toggle a time or 2.

--jack

8. Mind out for the 50/50 blend output option also.

9. tech21nyc

tech21nyc Commercial User

Aug 17, 2010
    Manufacturer: Tech 21
    The Red wire is for export models and is not supposed to be hooked up, same deal with the power cord input. To compare the units, set Blend at Minimum or off. Set tone controls at noon and levels the same using the same outputs and settings. They level should be the same. The two units have a different SansAmp architecture internally and will not compare the same with the Blend control up.

10. jcroxford

jcroxford

Jan 7, 2017
    Sacramento CA
    Hey tech21, thanks for the reply. I actually spoke to Loyd Swartz, and got an RA# 66117, to ship my unit to tech21. It arrived today, so hopefully it can be looked at and the issue resolved.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 22, 2021