1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sansamp RPM/RBI question.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Travisx2112, Apr 15, 2010.

1. Hi all,

I would like to get either a Sansamp RPM or RBI, as I'm a fan of Geddy's tone from the Vapor Trails album and onwards, although the Snakes and Arrows tone is good, it doesn't appeal to me as much as the tone he got from Vapor Trails and the Rush in Rio DVD for that matter.

Anyways, my question is, do I need an amp in order to run the RPM or RBI? Reason I ask is because at a local guitar shop, I've asked to play with one and they always say to come at a time when it is not very busy as you have to hook it up to an amp to use it. Any truth to that? Why do you need to? Would I be able to run it like this?

Sound card line in --> MXR 10-Band EQ --> Sansamp RPM/RBI --> Bass Big Muff --> BOSS ODB-3 --> Digitech Whammy..for example. I probably wont use the Big Muff or ODB-3 with it, but it'll be in the chain since they're there anyways.

Thank you for the assistance!

2. Christian Waiau

Christian Waiau

Jun 16, 2005
    las vegas/maui, nevada/hawaii
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, Aguilar, Darkglass
    no need for an amp of youre recording. it works like a DI

3. Ohh okay! Thank you! I can run it as per my example then yes?

4. Christian Waiau

Christian Waiau

Jun 16, 2005
    i would run it backwards... and swith the RBI/RPM with the EQ pedal... your arrows are the wrong way haha.

5. TortillaChip520

TortillaChip520

Jun 3, 2008
    AZ
    You'd think they would cater to your needs since you want to give them your money, not the other way around.

6. Why would I want to run the EQ after the SA?

7. TortillaChip520

TortillaChip520

Jun 3, 2008
    AZ
    I think he meant run everything before the Sansamp. Wouldn't you be using it as a preamp anyways?

8. Christian Waiau

Christian Waiau

Jun 16, 2005
    because I would treat the sansamp like you would if it was a preamp on a "bass amp/head" you put all your pedals before it... which it technically is.

9. Okay yeah that makes some sense. I would want the Sansamp after everything, yeah.

Now, the question: Which one?

From SansAmp:
    I'm thinking more of the RBI because I like the grindy tone more and I could probably compensate for the mid-scoop with my EQ, yes?

10. Christian Waiau

Christian Waiau

Jun 16, 2005
    i JUST got the RBI and I've owned a bass drive DI, paradriver(pedal version of the RPM), and a VT bass... I actually like th RBI the best.. I think the paradriver has a "darker" tone IMO.. It sounded really boomy no matter what setting I had it on..

I know the RBI has a scoop.. but with TWO guitarist running all-tube Krank and Mesa heads.. a loud fast drummer.. I can still cut thru nicely..

i think my settings are..

DRIVE 1:30
    PRES 3:00
    BLEND 4:00
    LOW 12:00
    MID 3:00
    HIGH 7:00

11. Could you record some clips of the RBI or point me in the direction of some? I've looked a lot to no avail.

12. Christian Waiau

Christian Waiau

Jun 16, 2005
    hmm i'll see what i can do

13. TortillaChip520

TortillaChip520

Jun 3, 2008
    AZ
    Well the RPM is essentiall the rackmount version of the para bass. And you would be able eq in more mids on the unit due to the mid knob, and have a more grindy tone that would cut through the mix better than the mid scooped overdrive.

14. Yes, however, the RPM doesnt have the mid locked at around..what 1.2Khz? Perhaps the RPM wold be better then?

15. TortillaChip520

TortillaChip520

Jun 3, 2008
    AZ
    I thought it had sweepable mids.

16. Christian Waiau

Christian Waiau

Jun 16, 2005
    the RBI is a rack version of the bass driver DI except it has a MIDS knob.. the RPM is a rack version of the paradriver..

the RBI has mids centered @ 1k and the RPM and PARADRIVER have sweepable

17. TortillaChip520

TortillaChip520

Jun 3, 2008
    AZ
    Oops... I meant to say RPM :smug:

18. RockFistMusic

RockFistMusic

Apr 25, 2008
    JAX FL
    Had both RBI and RPM, the mids were obviously one difference, and the TONE that Sansamp is known for - ??

RBI = more of a metal GRIND, whereas
    RPM= more of a warm fuzz and growl

I would say for hard rock & metal players RBI, and softer or classic rock (and other genre) perhaps RPM

I believe Geddy had both and may have switched from one to the other, you can also run two ; )
    JMHO

19. Lowest End

Lowest End

Mar 20, 2010
    Mass
    Excellent, other than the different controls, I have been looking for a documented "here are the differences" statement for awhile.

I already have a fantastic OD pedal, so I think I'm leaning towards putting the RPM in front of a power amp (Crown or Carvin, likely)

20. I was also thinking last night that the mid scoop on the RBI might not be a bad thing for me either, as I already scoop at 1KHz always, anyways.