1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sansamp RPM/RBI question.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Travisx2112, Apr 15, 2010.

1. Christian Waiau

Christian Waiau

Jun 16, 2005
    las vegas/maui, nevada/hawaii
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, Aguilar, Darkglass
    Well the scoop isn't at 1k. 1k is the center that the mid knob is. The scoop is right below that at around 800-900 give or take.. You can still cut at 1k with the mid control if u want.

2. Oh okay, and I can compensate for that using my MXR EQ.

3. Christian Waiau

Christian Waiau

Jun 16, 2005
    You can still scoop the 1k but there's no bringing back the 800-900 ish. You can't eq something that isn't there ;)

4. Oh it's totally gone? I thought it was just lowered.

5. Christian Waiau

Christian Waiau

Jun 16, 2005
    hmm im not too sure how much it is cut... but if it really is like the sansamp bass driver... its cut pretty drastic according to those pink noise charts..

6. If your looking for the Vapor Trails edge, then the RBI is the one.
    The RPM can get you close but the RBI realy defines the Vapor trails sound.
    Dont forget to use a nice fat, round, clean channel to fill out the rest of the sound, the RPM is better for this.

Or buy the bass driver and a para driver.

7. I think your EQ could likely compensate to some degree, more so in the effects loop, although the effects loop might be too hot for the EQ.
    I think a second clean channel would best compensate.

8. No matter how you set the RPM it's still not as edgy as the RBI.

9. Gin

Gin

Apr 11, 2008
    Manitoba, Canada
    I have an RBI, its very nice for tones, but I find it at times to have too much of a clicky sound, Im thinking of getting an RPM mixed with my RBI.

10. This is what I do. It works better than either one alone.
    I run the two channels seperate.

11. BTW, I am curious to see these pink noise charts.
    Thanks

12. Christian Waiau

Christian Waiau

Jun 16, 2005
    there is a thread somewhere on talkbass on that... im too tired to search.. have at it lol

13. The clicky tone is one of the main things I love about his tone haha, so it sounds like the RBI is the one I'll want. Also, I can always get the RPM at a later date.

14. Also, I definitely can run this to my soundcard (ie. with the 1/4" output right to the soundcard?) The manual says to hook up the sansamp to a powered amplifier. Does this mean that I'd get a low input if I went directly to my soundcard?

15. Just wanna throw this out there.
    The bass driver is will do the same thing as the RBI.

Example-You know how some pedals and onboard preamps can run on both 9 volt or 18 volt??? The only difference is the 18volt just sounds a little more dynamic. However, they sound the same.

I only say this because for a couple of bucks more you can buy a bass driver and parra driver. Set one clean and the other dirty.:meh:

In any case, the RBI will do that vapor trails edgy tone.
    So either way, I hope you get the sound you like.:)

16. Thank you for the tip! I'm assuming that the line-in should work since my amp and my computer just with the bass by itself both have the same results as far as output.

17. Well I bought an RBI off of eBay! We'll see what I think of it when it shows up. I'm sure I'll enjoy it :)

18. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco/HELIX user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    We're sure you will too. Most sound persons will like it as well.
    The setup here for standard gigs(backline + PA) puts the RBI here:

BassPODXTLive-->SansAmp-->dbx166xL-->QSC2402-->ACME or SWR or both

PLEASE NOTE that the tone controls are VERY different than what you may be used to.
    With the RBI, a small amount of gain or boost = a BIG change in sound. Be careful if you're using headphones and changing the tone setting.

19. I'm playing at home right now just as a hobby and do use headphones, I'll keep that in mind, thank you :)

20. Tried out an RBI at a store today and loved it. It's Geddy Lee's vapor trails album/tour tone in one box. Nuff said! :D

Now I must wait for mine.. :)